Many of the checklists have an elective breadth and depth requirement that includes Humanities, Social Sciences, Pure Sciences, and Pure and Applied Sciences. The following chart indicates which category each subject area is classified under.*
Some depth examples are at the bottom of this page.
For the breadth and depth requirements for previous years, see major plan requirement checklists.
|Subject||Description||Humanities||Social Sciences||Pure Sciences||Pure and Applied Sciences|
|AFM||Accounting and Financial Management|
|APPLS||Applied Language Studies|
|ARBUS||Arts and Business|
|BASE||Bridge to Academic Success in English|
|BET||Business, Entrepreneurship and Technology|
|CMW||Church Music and Worship|
|CO||Combinatorics and Optimization|
|DAC||Digital Arts Communication|
|EASIA||East Asian Studies|
|ECE||Electrical and Computer Engineering|
|EFAS||English for Academic Success|
|EMLS||English for Multilingual Speakers|
|ENBUS||Environment and Business|
|ERS||Environment and Resource Studies|
|GBDA||Global Business and Digital Arts|
|GEOG||Geography and Environmental Management|
|HRM||Human Resources Management|
|ISS||Interdisciplinary Social Science|
|MNS||Materials and Nano-Sciences|
|PACS||Peace and Conflict Studies|
|REC||Recreation and Leisure Studies|
|REES||Russian and East European Studies|
|SDS||Social Development Studies|
|SI||Studies in Islam|
|SMF||Sexuality, Marriage, and Family|
|STV||Society, Technology and Values|
|SYDE||Systems Design Engineering|
- 3 courses (1.5 units) that have the same subject with at least one of them (0.5 units) at the third-year level or higher, or
- 3 courses (1.5 units) with the same subject forming a prerequisite chain of length three
Here are some examples of prerequisite chains of length three. In each case, course Z has course Y as a prerequisite and course Y has course X as a prerequisite.
- BU 121, followed by BU 352, followed by BU 362
- ECON 101, followed by 201, followed by one of 301, 332, 341, 342, 355, 357, 361, etc.
- JAPAN 101R followed by 102R, followed by 201R
- PHYS 121, followed by 122, followed by one of 226, 234, 242, 256, 263, 358, 375, 380, 383
- PSYCH 101 followed by 207, followed by one of 306, 307, 308, 320
Many subject areas do not have prerequisite chains. Students interested in these areas should use the first option for satisfying the requirement.