At Waterloo, we want you to become a problem solver and use technology to change the world.
The programs and opportunities that we offer on and off campus are ways that we help you get there.
Ideas start here | Velocity | Enterprise co-op
Ideas start here
Do you have a brilliant new idea that you're looking to develop? We offer the resources and support that you need to turn it into a reality.
Become a part of a community that values technology and innovation and get access to:
- Professional support - We connect you with industry professionals to help you understand the world of business, marketing, policy, law and more.
- Mentorship and guidance - Learn from current students and graduates who have gone through the creative process of developing a start up.
- Space and equipment - We provide you with the real-estate and tools to grow your products, services, companies, and/or ideas.
Ownership - Waterloo's unique intellectual property (IP) policy allows you to own everything that you create.
Waterloo’s Velocity program supports and guides students through the process of creating and developing ideas. We offer several initiatives that provide funding, equipment, and experience needed to help you grow your product, service, or business.
- Velocity Residence offers the chance for students to live in a collaborative environment with other innovators and mentors. Access is available for funding and equipment to create, develop, and research ideas.
- Velocity Garage provides new student startups their own workspace to grow their business offerings.
- Velocity Start gives students the real-world skills and strategies needed to create a successful startup. Not sure of your ideas or where to start? Weekly workshops provide you with support!
- Velocity Fund puts students to the test by offering them the chance to pitch their ideas in front of a panel of judges in hopes of winning a grant valued at $25,000!
Many of the most successful and innovative startups in Waterloo-Kitchener grew out of our Velocity program, including Thalmic Labs, MappedIn, and Pebble Technology Corporation.
The Enterprise Co-op program
Want to work as your own boss? Take advantage of our Enterprise Co-op (E Co-op) program. Managed by the Conrad Business, Entrepreneurship, and Technology Center, Waterloo allows co-op students to use their work term to create and oversee their own business.
- Access workshops, seminars, and presentations from successful entrepreneurs.
- Receive support from full-time, professional staff.
- Grow your ideas using space in the Communitech Hub, located in Downtown Kitchener next to companies like Google and D2L.
Visit the program page for information on deadlines, important dates, additional details, and how to apply.