The computer science program at Waterloo offers students the opportunity to customize their studies by enrolling in a regular or co-op option
But how do these options compare and how do you decide which option works best for you?
Complete your studies in four years while taking your summers off to travel, work, or develop your own ideas. Many of our students have gone on to create their own businesses and start ups.
- Study from September to April each year
- Focus on your studies
- Plan your own summers
- Graduate earlier to pursue graduate studies or develop your own business ideas
- Use your time to work on your own personal projects
- Participate in more clubs, sports, and campus activities
Waterloo offers students the choice to combine in-class learning with real world experience. With help from the world's largest co-op program, students enrolled in this option gain up to two years of work experience before they graduate.
- Graduate with up to two years of work experience after 6 work terms
- Earn money to help finance your education
- Make valuable career contacts
- Choose from the world's largest selection of co-op jobs
- Explore career areas before graduation
Co-op programs (optional)
- Computer Science
- Business Administration and Computer Science
- Computing and Financial Management
- Software Engineering
- Four to six work terms will be completed within the program
- Every student will need to complete four work reports
- Students can set up their own co-op position with an employer as long as it is confirmed by the co-op office
- Co-op fees for Computer Science are $729 per term starting Fall 2019
- The co-op hiring and application process will begin during first year
- Resume writing and mock interview workshops are available through Co-operative and Experiential Education, also known as CEE
Your sequence will determine when you are studying (on campus) or working/taking time off (off campus).
* = Work
# = Sequence
Reg = Regular
Terms (four months)
F = Fall term (September - December)
W = Winter term (January - April)
S = Spring term (May - August)
- Business Administration and Computer Science -
Sequence BBA/BCS only
- Computing and Financial Management; Software Engineering - Sequence 1 only
- Computer Science -
Sequence 1, 2, 3, 4 or regular
|#||Year 1||Year 2||Year 3||Year 4||Year 5|
Students find exciting jobs world-wide with the help of our co-op program.
|Cloud Computing Software Developer||Ontario Institute for Cancer Research|
|Technical Systems Analyst||RBC Financial Group|
|IT Assistant||Canadian Solar Inc|
|Agile Engineering||Xtreme Labs Inc|
|Software Developer||Desire2Learn Inc|
|Web Developer||Wicked Interactive Ltd|
The Velocity program at Waterloo offers you the chance to take control of your own career by helping to get your business ideas off the ground.
Find out more about our entrepreneurial community and how you can get involved.