- BioInformatics Inc. - a leading software provider for protein and peptide identification
- Tamr - an exciting new startup in data curation and cleaning
- Maplesoft produces the Maple symbolic computation software, one of the leading systems for mathematical computation
- RapidMind provided leading software for high performance computation on GPUs (before being purchased by Intel in 2009)
- OpenText, now Canada's largest software company, began with the digitisation of the Oxford English Dictionary project in the Department of Computer Science. This was the first major research and development project in electronic publishing and digital libraries
- Watcom developed the WATFOR and WATFIV compilers, which were critically important in training a whole generation of programmers around the world.
David R. Cheriton School of Computer Science
University of Waterloo