Women in Computer Science (WICS) is dedicated to promoting women who are interested in studying computer science and who seek to pursue careers in computing. Specifically, the mandate of the committee is:
- To build an environment in the School of Computer Science where women are supported in their work and studies.
- To ensure that young women entering university see computer science as an option.
- To connect to outside organizations and events for women in computer science.
Check out our 2019–2020 activities!
- Orientation for incoming women in CS • September 8, 2019
- Big CSters Mentorship • Ongoing
- WiCS Circles • Ongoing
- Technical Interview Workshops • Ongoing
- Grace Hopper Celebration 2019 • October 1–4, 2019
- Can-CWIC 2019 • November 8–9, 2019
- Sexism Response Workshop
Scholarships and bursaries
Check out the growing list of scholarships and bursaries that are aimed specifically at women who are studying computer science.
WiCS Undergrad Committee
WiCS has a very active undergrad committee that runs a number of events throughout the year, including the Big CSters Mentoring program, technical workshops, a speaker series, and panels and discussions about diversity in computer science and STEM.
In recent years, two WiCS members — Clarisse Schneider and Jenny Sun — have had the honour of giving the valedictory addresses at Faculty of Mathematics Convocations. Clarisse has a Bachelor of Software Engineering degree (2012–17) and Jenny has an Honours Bachelor of Computer Science degree (2014–19).
Clarisse Schneider's Spring 2017 Faculty of Mathematics valedictory address (Clarisse's introduction and address begin at 25:45)
Jenny Sun's Spring 2019 Faculty of Mathematics valedictory address (Jenny's introduction and address begin at 26:03)
Join our mailing list to find out what's happening throughout the year and how you can participate in our monthly meetings. Sign up.
With thanks and gratitude to our many industrial partners.
Platinum sponsor • $20,000–$25,000
Gold sponsors • $10,000–$15,000
Silver sponsors • $5,000
Grace Hopper Conference sponsor
Generous funding from the Mathematics Endowment Fund provides support so students can attend the annual Grace Hopper Conference.
Would you like to be a WiCS sponsor?
Are you interested in sponsorship opportunities with WiCS and the opportunitiy to connect with our talented and motivated computer science students?
Please see our partnership opportunities brochure (PDF).