The following FAQ is specifically related to the BBA/BCS double degree program and are organized into 13 main categories for you to browse. If you have a "general" CS question ​(non-DD related) that is not answered here, then see the CS FAQ. 

In the following, "contact us" refers to the Waterloo BBA/BCS advisor.


A. Questions About Enrolments on LORIS

A.1. Can your Waterloo BBA/BCS Advisor view or change your enrolments on LORIS?

No. Your Waterloo BBA/BCS Advisor has no access to LORIS. Please contact your WLU BBA Advisors with all questions about your enrolments on LORIS.

B. Checklists, rules and prerequisite chart

B.1. Where are the checklists, prerequisite charts and course planning guides?

They are on the courses page.

B.2. What are the rules for progression and the number of fails/repeats, allowed?

They are concisely described in the checklist on the courses page.

B.3. Do transfer credits (e.g., AP Credits) count toward progression and graduation?

Yes. If you have a transfer credit (e.g., CHEM 1xx) then that will count toward your graduation (as a general elective) and also count toward meeting your annual progression (number of completed units).

C. Transfers and applications

C.1 How do I apply/transfer to the BBA/BCS Program?

C.2. How do I drop down from the BBA/BCS to a single degree BCS or single degree BBA?

  • We suggest making an appointment to discuss it. If you're 100% sure you want to switch, do not fill out a plan modification form on your own, instead contact us via email indicating you're 100% sure.
  • If it requires you to change your home university, please note that you may not be eligible for co-op. Eligibility for co-op is decided on a case-by-case basis, and typically only students in excellent standing are considered. If you wish to determine your co-op eligibility before transferring, contact us.

C.3. How do I stay in the BBA/BCS and change my home institution?

  • Unfortunately, you cannot.
  • There have been very extraordinary circumstances (e.g., to play for a specific varsity team). If you think you qualify, contact us.

C.4. If I switch to a single BCS, do I need a second communications course?

  • Yes, unless you have completed BUS 362W. BUS 362W may be substituted for a List II communications course.

C.5. If I switch to a single BCS with a business specialization, which of my Laurier BUS courses will count toward the business specialization?

  • Essentially, if you've completed your 2A term of the BBA, you already have the six business courses on the Business specialization checklist.
  • The following substitutions will be allowed:
    ECON 120W for ECON 101
    ECON 140W for ECON 102
    BUS 127W for AFM 101
    BUS 288W for MSCI 211
    (more are possible if necessary: contact us)

C.6. If I switch to a single BCS with a business specialization, do I still need to satisfy the breadth/depth requirements?

  • If your starting year is 2017 or earlier, you do not need to satisfy the breadth/depth requirements.
  • If your starting year is 2018 or later, you will need to satisfy the breadth/depth requirements.
  • If your starting year is 2018 or later, and you switch after you have completed your 3A BUS core, you have completed the depth requirement. Contact us for more information on which courses you'd need to meet your degree requirement.

D. Extra courses

D.1. How do I add a sixth course?

Note: All DD students must follow the Waterloo rules for a sixth course, not the Laurier rules.

  • If your average is above 80%, you should automatically be eligible for a sixth course. If your average recently rose above 80%, or you are in your 1B term, contact us.
  • When your average is between 70% and 80%, see D.2. (below) and then contact us.
  • In other cases, you should file a petition (see section M below) and have a very strong justification for why you want a sixth course. 
    Note: We are happy to help you submit your petition, but unfortunately sixth course petitions are often rejected (unless it is your last year).

D.2. How do the sixth course DD rules work?

  • CS double degree students with a CAV greater than or equal to 70 but less than 80 can be overridden into six courses (an overloaded term). This can occur at most two times.
  • Students who fail a course are ineligible to overload in the subsequent term.
  • Overloaded terms are granted at the discretion of their Waterloo academic advisor.
  • If a student in 2A or later WDs a course while in an overloaded term, it still counts as one of their two opportunities.

D.3. How do I add a seventh course?

You have to file a petition (see section M below) for a seventh course. Seventh course petitions aren't considered unless you have a strong average (~90%) and you have successfully completed a term with six courses.

D.4. How do I add a second course while on coop?

  • If you are Laurier-based, check with a Laurier coop advisor.
  • If you are Waterloo-based, we will need an email confirmation from your employer saying that they approve in increase in your course load.
  • You can send them this template if you wish:
  • To whom it may concern,
    My name is [SUPERVISOR NAME], and we have hired [STUDENT NAME] at [COMPANY NAME] for this upcoming coop term. We acknowledge that the normal course limit for a coop student is one course, but they have our permission to take an additional second course during this coop term.

E. Course registration

E.1. What are the differences between Waterloo course selection (previously "pre-enrollment") and open registration?

  • Course selection occurs approximately 3.5 months before the start of the term and lasts approximately one week. Course selection is very important and allows us to plan and schedule course sections. We try to guarantee you a course if you select it during this period.
  • Between course selection and open registration you are automatically placed into sections.
  • Open registration (the "add period") starts approximately one month before the start of a term and ends approximately two weeks into the start of the term. During open registration you can change your courses and sections (see below for BUS exceptions).

E.2. What courses do I need to "course select" at Waterloo?

  • You should select all of the courses you plan on taking in the term, including any Laurier courses.
  • Note: The required first, second and third year BUS courses should be automatically selected for you. Course select them if you can, but do not worry if you have trouble selecting a core (first/second/third year) BUS course.
  • If an elective Laurier course (including fourth year BUS courses) does not appear in Quest during course selection, contact us, but it is much more important to register (add) the course in LORIS (you should always ensure all of your Laurier courses appear on LORIS).

E.3. How does registration (the "add period") work at Laurier?

  • Registration for both fall and winter courses occurs during the spring term (typically mid-June).
  • Registration for spring courses occurs during the winter term (typically mid-January).
  • Typically, your first, second, and third year BUS courses and your first year ECON courses are automatically added for you.
  • You should add any additional Laurier courses (e.g., electives).
  • You should also add all of your Waterloo courses yourself.

E.4. I selected a course in advance on QUEST, but it didn't get added to my schedule. What happened? What should I do?

The three most likely reasons for not getting a course are

  • you don't have the prerequisites
  • you have a 'block' on your account (e.g., you owe fees), or
  • there is a time conflict.

If a course didn't get added to your schedule, contact us.

E.5. How do I add/drop/change a course?

Note the exceptions for BUS courses below.

  • You should first make the change at the host university (where the course is offered):
    • For Waterloo courses, make changes in Quest first.
    • For Laurier courses, make changes in LORIS first.
  • Once the host system is correct, make the corresponding change in the other system.

E.6. How do I add Waterloo courses to LORIS and Laurier courses to QUEST?

Note: Course codes from the other campus have a "W" at the end.

  • When adding Waterloo courses to LORIS, you don't have to specify a specific section. When searching for courses, make sure you select:
    • Campus: ALL (do not select Waterloo)
    • Subject: UW-Subject (e.g., UW-Computer Science). Occasionally courses have the Subject without the UW- prefix (e.g., some mathematics courses), so if you can't find the course with the UW- prefix, check for it without.
  • When adding Laurier courses to QUEST, you must add the correct section. Consult this table to determine the correct section number.
  • If the course isn't a "typical" course and isn't available in the other school's system, it should reconcile and appear within two weeks. If it doesn't, contact us.
  • If there is a discrepancy you can't fix, make sure it is correct in the host university's system, remove any incorrect courses in the other system, and then contact us.

E.7. Can I change my BUS sections? 

  • The first year and non-core (elective) BUS sections can be changed normally (see above).
  • The second and third year core BUS sections are block enrolled. You typically can't change your block by yourself.
    Note: Changing your BUS sections/block in Quest has no effect, and your courses will be reverted back to their original sections, possibly causing conflicting courses to be dropped.
  • If you have a legitimate reason to change your BUS block, contact us.
  • One legitimate reason is an unresolvable time conflict between two courses.
  • Having two Waterloo/Laurier courses back-to-back (10 min gap) is unfortunately not a legitimate reason. Try swapping your non-BUS course sections around.

E.8. I want to add CS xxx or swap sections of CS xxx but it's full or "reserved". Can you add/swap for me?

  • If you "course selected" in advance, we can likely help you, so contact us.  
  • If you didn't "course select" but have a legitimate reason for the change, contact us.

E.9. Same question, but it's not a CS course. Can you help?

You'll have to contact an advisor in the department that offers the course.

E.10. What if I have a time conflict between two courses?

  • Two conflicting lecture sections are almost never allowed.
  • A conflict with a TUT (tutorial) section may be allowed, but you need confirmation from the instructor (or department) of the course with the tutorial that you wish to miss. You have to get either a Course Override form signed by the instructor or an email from the instructor contact us.
    Note: If possible, add the course you will not miss to the system first.
  • A conflict with a TST (exam) section is often allowed, but you still need confirmation from the instructor (or department) of the course you have to miss to attend the exam (not the course with the exam).
    Note: If possible, add the course with the TST slot first.

F. Grades

F.1. What happens if I drop (withdraw) from a course?

Waterloo and Laurier handle drops differently, so there may be discrepancies between the two transcripts. The following dates are approximate, see the university calendars for official dates.

For the dates A < B < C:

  • A is approx. three weeks into the term
  • B is approx. eight weeks into the term
  • C is approx. 10 weeks into the term
  • At Waterloo, a course dropped before A doesn't appear on your transcript. Between A and C, a WD appears on your transcript. After C, a WF appears on your transcript.
  • At Laurier, a course dropped before B doesn't appear on your transcript. After B, DR appears on your transcript (similar to a WF).

Note: There may be other dates for when you can receive tuition refunds for courses (check with your home university). Also, make sure you drop the course on both Quest and LORIS.

F.2. Can I have a drop backdated?

In most circumstances, if you drop a Waterloo course between B and C (see above), Laurier will backdate your drop to the last drop date (B) so that it will no longer appear as a DR on your Laurier transcript. For more information, contact a Laurier advisor.

F.3. How are failures counted in my average?

  • Waterloo: The grade counted in your average is the maximum of your grade and 32%. WFs and DNWs count as 32%. If you repeat a course, both grades count in your average.
  • Laurier: The value of 0 is counted in your GPA. DRs also count as 0. However, if you repeat a course, only the most recent attempt counts in your average.

F.4. How to I convert between Waterloo and Laurier grades?

This chart describes how the conversions work.

Waterloo/Laurier Conversion Chart
A+ 12 95 90-100
A 11 89 85-89
A- 10 83 80-84
B+ 9 78 77-79
B 8 75 73-76
B- 7 72 70-72
C+ 6 68 67-69
C 5 65 63-66
C- 4 62 60-62
D+ 3 58 57-59
D 2 55 53-56
D- 1 52 50-52
F 0



** See F. 3.

F.5. How is the Laurier GPA calculated?

See the table above.

F.6. What courses make up my NON-BUS average?

Everything that doesn't start with a BUS, including:

F.7. Can I take an (n+1) year BUS course to raise my BUS average to meet my year (n) progression requirements?

No. For example, you cannot take a BUS 3xx course to raise your 2nd year BUS average. Also, be aware that for DD students, your BUS 127W grade is considered a 2nd year course.

F.8. Do my (n-k) year BUS courses count in my BUS average to meet my year (n) progression requirements?

Yes. For example, your BUS 111W counts in your 2nd year BUS average.

G. Co-op

G.1. What is my co-op sequence?

  • Initially, all students are placed in the following sequence for the first three years:
    F W S F W S F W S
    1A 1B WT1* 2A WT2 2B 3A WT3 3B
    *Laurier-based student have an OFF term instead of WT1
  • By default, you will be placed into the following sequence for the last two years: (this is flexible, see below):
    F W S F W S
    4A WT4 4B WT5 5A 5B

G.2. How do I change my co-op sequence?

  • If your home university is Laurier, check with them.
  • Because of the Laurier BUS course schedule and course requirements, most DD students can't change their co-op sequence until they have completed their BUS 3B block. Exceptions have been made, but it is your responsibility to find an approved course schedule with a Laurier advisor first.
  • Once you have completed your BUS 3B block, your co-op schedule is very flexible. You can contact us with your own customized schedule to be approved.
  • All Waterloo-based sequence changes must be approved by the Math co-op advisor (currently Ed Dupont).

G.3. How many co-op terms can I take?

  • If your home university is Laurier, three or four.
  • If your home university is Waterloo, four or five. 
  • Note: DD students are not eligible for a sixth co-op term, so they pay lower co-op fees.

G.4. Can I take a term off?

Yes, you can likely take one or more terms off, but it is your responsibility to find an approved course schedule with a Laurier advisor first.

G.5. I'm a WLU-based DD student, can I use UW's co-op system (or vice versa)? 

No, you can not use the other University's co-op system. The co-op system you use must ALWAYS be through your home university.

H. Course specifics

H.1. What courses can I take online?

  • ECON 250 or 260.
  • Any MATH/STAT/CO course offered online.
  • Note: you may NOT take your communications course online.
  • If you are repeating a BUS course, you may be eligible to take it online.
  • You can take any of your general electives online.

H.2. Can I take MATH 106 instead of MATH 136?

No. Math DD students have this option, but they are also required to take MATH 235, which CS DD's do not have to take.

    H.3. Can I take STAT 220 instead of STAT 230?


    H.4. Can I take MATH 127 instead of MATH 137 and/or MATH 128 instead of MATH 138?

    Yes. However, make sure you understand the required prerequisites and their respective grade requirements for STAT 230.

    H.5. What MATH/CS courses do I need 60% in?

    • CS 135* (req. for CS 136)
      * if you get 50-59% in CS 135, you can take CS 116, then CS 136
    • CS 136 (req. for CS 246)
    • MATH 135 (req. for MATH 136 and STAT 230 and MATH 239)
    • MATH 137* (req. for MATH 138 and STAT 230)
      * if you get 50-59% in MATH 137, you can take MATH 128, but make sure you understand the prerequisites for STAT 230 (which are complicated).

    H.6. Do I need to complete ECON 250 or 260 before third-year BUS?

    No. It is recommended, but there is no requirement.

    H.7. Do I need to complete CO 250 and STAT 231 before third-year BUS?

    Yes. They are prerequisites for 3A BUS.

    H.8. Can I take ENTR 2xx/3xx/4xx courses as BUS electives?


    H.9. Can I take BUS 415W as a BUS elective?

    No. Double degree students are ineligible for BUS 415W. Instead, double degree students take CS 490.

    H.10. Can I take BUS 486W?

    Maybe -- Only students pursuing an accounting designation may take BUS 486W as a BUS elective. However, BUS 486W is an anti-requisite for CS 490, so accounting students must substitute an additional CS 440-489 for CS 490.

    H.11. Can I take BUS 275W instead of CO 250?


    H.12. Can I take a Laurier CS course?

    • Most likely, No.
    • Definitely not any of their introductory (1st or 2nd year) courses.
    • If there is an upper-year elective you're interested in, and we do not have an equivalent course at UW, you may submit a proposal to take that course. Note, that it will count as a general elective, not a CS elective.

    H.13. Can I take a Waterloo business-related course?

    • Most likely, No.
    • On this page, it lists many of the anti-reqs for WLU BUS courses and courses at Waterloo.
    • If you find a course that you want to take, and it doesn't seem to conflict, then contact us.

    H.14. Can any of my CS electives be a course code greater than CS 492? (e.g., CS 499T, CS 6xx)

    No. You may take those courses as general electives, but not as CS electives.

    I. Other universities / Exchanges

    I.1. Can I take courses at other universities?

    You need what is called a "letter of permission" (see the registrar forms page). Normally, you can't take any of your core (required) UW courses (CS/MATH) at another school (except under extraordinary circumstances, e.g., for medical reasons). For WLU required courses, contact a Laurier advisor.

    I.2. Can I go on an exchange program?

    • Yes.
    • You can go to any Waterloo or Laurier approved partner school -- you enrol in the exchange program that has the partner school you are interested in (it does not matter what your "home" institution is).
    • More information on UW exchange is available on the Math exchange page.
    • The application deadlines are usually very firm: make sure you meet them.
    • You typically need an average above 75% to do an exchange through Waterloo.
    • You will need approval from both Waterloo and Laurier advisors.
    • A CS advisor will have to approve any CS courses, and a Laurier advisor will have to approve any BUS courses. For other courses (e.g., MATH or MUSIC) you would seek approval from the corresponding department.
    • You should not plan on taking any specific core (required) CS (or MATH) courses while on exchange. They are occasionally allowed, but it is more feasible to take electives on exchange (CS / BUS / general electives).
    • For more information, contact us.

    I.3. Can my exchange term be my last term?

    Yes, but it may delay your graduation (or confirmation of graduation) because there it often takes a long time to receive your transcript information from the exchange school.

    K. Majors, minors and options/specializations

    K.1. Can I do the BCS Data Science in the CS DD? What courses would I need?

    • Yes. Calendar text has been added to explicitly allow this combination (see the notes here).
    • Once you have completed STAT 231, you may apply to change your major to BCS Data Science DD. Applications are processed here. Make sure you indicate in the form that you still want to remain in the DD.
    • The BCS Data Science Major requires 11 extra courses:
      • MATH 235
      • MATH 237
      • STAT 330
      • STAT 331
      • STAT 341
      • Two of: (STAT 431 / 440 / 441 / 442 / 443 / 444)
      • CS 348
      • CS 451
      • Two of: (CS 448 / 454 / 480* / 485* / 486*)
        [* at least one must be 48x]
    • The CS DD has 4 CS electives and 4 general electives. The 4 CS electives can be satisfied by the 4 CS courses above, and the 4 general electives can be satisfied by 4 of the remaining 7 courses above. This means that 3 additional courses are required. The CS DD is normally 52 courses, so this brings the total to 55 courses.
      This can be accomplished by overloading terms, or adding one extra academic term.
    • If you are interested in the BMath (Data Science) the requirements will be similar, but different: contact us.

    K.2. Can I do BMath (CS) in the DD? What courses would I need?

    • No.

    K.3. Can I add the Software Engineering Specialization to the DD? What courses would I need?

    • Yes.
    • You need the following additional 7 courses:
      • CS 445
      • CS 446
      • CS 447
      • Two of: CS 343, CS 348, CS 349
      • Two additional electives from:
        CS 444, 448, 449, 450, 452, 454, 456, 457, 458, 484, 485, 486, 488
        (see the current list here).
    • The CS DD has 4 CS electives and 4 general electives. 7 of those electives can be satisfied by the 7 CS courses above. This means that no additional courses are required.
    • You do not need to fill out a Plan Modification form, but you may if you wish.

    K.4. Can I add the Bioinformatics or Digital Hardware Specialization to the DD?

    Not really. While technically possible, it would be infeasible to try and coordinate all of the requirements.

      K.5. Can I add the HCI, Fine Arts or AI Specialization to the DD?

      Most likely. You should contact us.

      K.6. Can I add a math minor to the DD?


      K.7. Can I do a double major in another math area?


      K.8. Can I add a minor or option from another faculty?

      You most likely can, but you will need to be aware of what requirements you'll need to complete the minor/option and when you will be available to take the course. You should contact us on how to organize your schedule.

      L. Tuition and fees

      L.1. My home institution is Waterloo, but I'm taking an online course at Laurier during my co-op. Where do I pay my tuition?

      • You always pay your tuition at your home institution, regardless of your courses.
      • Don't forget to add all of your courses on both Quest and LORIS to ensure your tuition is calculated correctly and to avoid any late fees.

      L.1. I just dropped a course. Which institution's refund rules are used?

      • The refund rules of your home institution are always used.
      • Don't forget to drop the course in both Quest and LORIS.

      M. Petitions

      M.1. How do I submit a petition?

      • Regardless of what you are petitioning for, you submit your petition at your home school.
      • For Waterloo-based students, visit the Registrar forms page
      • For Laurier-based students, the petition form is available here.
      • In addition to the form, petitions typically require a support letter.

      N. Graduation

      N.1. Do I have to apply to graduate at both schools?

      Yes. You should fill out an application to graduate form at both institutions.

      N.2. How do I fill out the Waterloo "Application to Graduate" form?

      Note that the "system of studies" depends on your home institution:

      Bachelor of: Computer Science (double degree)
      Program Type: Honours
      System of Studies: "Co-op" [Waterloo Home] or
      "Regular" [Laurier Home]
      Plan Major 1: Business Administration/Computer Science double degree

      Find an error? Didn't find your question? contact us.

      Disclaimer: If there is a question of interpretation or a discrepancy, the University Calendars always takes precedence over this FAQ.

      Back to top