Future graduate students
The David R. Cheriton School of Computer Science has an international reputation in teaching, academics, research, and employment.
As part of the largest centre for math and computing in the world, the School has a strong focus on research with over 94 faculty members investigating 16 different research areas.
NEW! Master of Mathematics, Computer Science (Data Science specialization)
Study the application and development of methods that facilitate insight from available data in order to understand, predict, and improve business strategy, products and services, marketing campaigns, medicine, public health and safety, as well as numerous other pursuits.
Applications available for fall 2017 enrolment. See our program details.
Our world-class reputation
- 18th in the world according to U.S. News and Report
- 24th in the world according to QS World University Rankings®
- Only Canadian University to win the ACM International Collegiate Programming Competition
Several of our faculty have been recognized for their outstanding contributions to research through fellowships, awards, and designations:
- 5 Fellows of the Royal Society of Canada
- 3 Fellows of the Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers
- 2 Outstanding Young Computer Science Researchers
- 5 Fellows of the Association of Computing Machinery
- 3 University Professors
- 2 Canada Research Chairs Tier 1
- 2 Canadian Research Chairs Tier 2
- 21 Killiam Prizes
- 1 Stacie Memorial Fellowship
Ideas Start Here
Waterloo's intellectual property (IP) policy grants researchers full ownership of their ideas.