The funding will establish a Fellowship Fund to support PhD candidates in Data Science and Machine Learning at the University of Waterloo. Fellowships will be offered starting in 2022.
An Apple PhD Fellow will receive $37,500/year for two years. Up to two fellowships will be awarded each year for two years starting in 2022.
Eligibility & Selection Criteria
- Students must be in the 2nd or 3rd year of their PhD program in the School of Computer Science at the University of Waterloo.
- Students must remain registered full-time and be in good standing in their PhD program for the duration of the Fellowship.
- Proposed research must be in the areas of Data Science or Machine Learning.
- Students can receive this award in addition to other internal or external scholarships (e.g., OGS, NSERC, etc.)
- Students already supported by a comparable industry award at the time of selection are not eligible.
- Applications are evaluated on the basis of students' academic achievements, leadership contributions and potential, and the strength of their research proposal.
- Research proposals are evaluated for innovative concepts that are relevant to Apple’s research areas, as well as their potential impact to the field.
- Interested students must submit an application package to the Director of Graduate Studies by March 31
- The application package must consist of the student's:
- UW transcript
- a research propoal
- The completed package should be sent to the Director of Graduate Studies at email@example.com
- 2 references must submit support letters for the student directly to the Director of Graduate Studies at firstname.lastname@example.org. One of the references must be the student’s primary thesis supervisor.
Recipients will be selected in April by the School Director in consultation with the Sponsor.