I am interested in systems-oriented research. I work at the intersection of distributed systems and data management, particularly on building large-scale data systems, storage and infrastructure in the cloud and on modern hardware.
If you are interested in graduate studies, check out this link.
VLDB (2020, 2019, 2018, 2017, 2015, 2014, 2012)
SIGMOD 2020, SIGMOD 2018 (Distinguished Member), SIGMOD (2014, 2013)
ICDE (2020, 2019, 2018, 2017, 2016, 2015, 2013, 2012, 2011)
DEBS 2019, ICDCS (2019, 2016, 2015), Middleware 2017, EDBT (2016, 2015)
Sapienza Fellowship (Category A: awarded to professors/researchers with an outstanding track record in their field)
ACM Symposium on Cloud Computing Best Paper Award
Outstanding Performance Award, University of Waterloo
SIGMOD Distinguished Program Committee Member
IEEE Senior Member
Some Refereed Papers:
- Güneş Aluç, M. Tamer Özsu, Khuzaima Daudjee, Building Self-Clustering RDF Databases Using Tunable-LSH, VLDB Journal, Volume 28, Issue 2, pages 173-195, 2019.
- Michael Abebe, Brad Glasbergen, Khuzaima Daudjee, WatDFS: A Project for Understanding Distributed Systems in the Undergraduate Curriculum, ACM Technical Symposium on Computer Science Education (SIGCSE), pages 920-926, 2019.
- Brad Glasbergen, Michael Abebe, Khuzaima Daudjee, Tutorial: Adaptive Replication and Partitioning in Data Systems, in Proc. of the 19th ACM/IFIP/USENIX International Middleware Conference, 2018.
- Michael Abebe, Khuzaima Daudjee, Brad Glasbergen, Y. Tian, EC-Store: Bridging the Gap Between Storage and Latency in Distributed Erasure Coded Systems, in Proc. 38th IEEE International Conference on Distributed Computing Systems (ICDCS).
- B. Glasbergen, M. Abebe, K. Daudjee, S. Foggo, A. Pacaci, Apollo: Learning Query Correlations for Predictive Caching in Geo-Distributed Systems, in Proc. 21st International Conference on Extending Database Technology (EDBT), 2018.
- X. Cui, M. Mior, B. Wong, K. Daudjee, S. Rizvi, NetStore: Leveraging Network Optimizations to Improve Distributed Transaction Processing Performance in Proc. 2017 ACM International Workshop on Active Middleware on Modern Hardware.
J. Mate, K. Daudjee, S. Kamali, Robust Multi-Tenant Server Consolidation in the Cloud for Data Analytics Workloads in Proc. 37th IEEE International Conference on Distributed Computing Systems (ICDCS), 2017.
Minyang Han*, Khuzaima Daudjee, Providing Serializability for Pregel-like Graph Processing Systems in Proc. 19th International Conference on Extending Database Technology (EDBT), 2016. Code is available here.
*Winner of Governor General's Gold Medal (top research award university-wide)
Shreya Agrawal, Khuzaima Daudjee, A Performance Comparison of Algorithms for Byzantine Agreement in Distributed Systems in Proc. 12th European Dependable Computing Conference, pages 249-260, 2016.
S. Radhakrishnan, B. Muscedere, K. Daudjee, V-Hadoop: Virtualized Hadoop Using Containers, in Proc. 15th IEEE International Symposium on Network Computing and Applications (IEEE NCA), 2016.
Minyang Han, Khuzaima Daudjee, Giraph Unchained: Barrierless Asynchronous Parallel Execution in Pregel-like Graph Processing Systems in Proc. VLDB 2015. Code for our GiraphUC system is available here.
J. Kim, K. Salem, K. Daudjee, A. Aboulnaga, X. Pan, Database High Availability Using SHADOW Systems in Proc. ACM Symposium on Cloud Computing, 2015. Best Paper Award
- F. Abu-Khzam, K. Daudjee, A. Mouawad, N. Nishimura, On Scalable Parallel Recursive Backtracking, in Journal of Parallel and Distributed Computing, pages 65-75, 2015.
J. Kim, K. Salem, K. Daudjee, Write Amplification: An Analysis of In-Memory Database Durability Techniques in Proc. VLDB International Workshop on In-Memory Data Management and Analytics (IMDM), 2015.
F. Petroni, L. Querzoni, K. Daudjee, S. Kamali, G. Iacoboni, HDRF: Stream-Based Partitioning for Power-Law Graphs in Proc. 24th ACM International Conference on Information and Knowledge Management (CIKM), 2015. [HDRF has been integrated into PowerGraph.]
- D. Nicoara, S. Kamali, K. Daudjee, L. Chen, Hermes: Dynamic Partitioning for Distributed Social Network Graph Databases in Proc. 18th International Conference on Extending Database Technology (EDBT), 2015.
G. Aluç, M. T. Özsu, K. Daudjee, O. Hartig, Executing Queries over Schemaless RDF Databases in Proc. 31st IEEE International Conference on Data Engineering (ICDE), 2015.
G. Aluç, O. Hartig, M. T. Özsu, K. Daudjee,
Diversified Stress Testing of RDF Data Management Systems, in Proc. 13th International Semantic Web Conference, 2014.
Minyang Han, K. Daudjee, K. Ammar, M. T. Özsu, X. Wang, T. Jin, An Experimental Comparison of Pregel-like Graph Processing Systems, in Proc. VLDB 2014. Information on our experimental testbed is available from here.
Prima Chairunnanda, Khuzaima Daudjee, M. Tamer Özsu, ConfluxDB: Multi-Master Replication for Partitioned Snapshot Isolation Databases, in Proc. VLDB 2014.
Güneş Aluç, M. Tamer Özsu, Khuzaima Daudjee, Workload Matters: Why RDF Databases Need a New Design, in Proc. VLDB 2014.
Khuzaima Daudjee, Shahin Kamali, Alejandro López-Ortiz, On the Online Fault-Tolerant Server Consolidation Problem in 26th ACM Symposium on Parallelism in Algorithms and Architectures (SPAA 2014).
A. Singh, X. Cui, B. Cassell, B. Wong, K. Daudjee, MicroFuge: A Middleware Approach to Providing Performance Isolation in Cloud Storage Systems, in 34th IEEE International Conference on Distributed Computing Systems (ICDCS).
S. Chowdhury, A. Roy, M. Shaikh, K. Daudjee, A Taxonomy of Decentralized Online Social Networks in Peer-to-Peer Networking and Applications, Springer, 2014.
B. Lei, I. Surya, S. Kamali, K. Daudjee, Data Partitioning for Video-on-Demand Services, in 12th IEEE International Symposium on Network Computing and Applications (IEEE NCA13).
L. Northam, R. Smits, K. Daudjee, J. Istead, Ray Tracing in the Cloud using MapReduce, in the 2013 IEEE International Conference on High-Performance Computing and Simulation.
Simon Forsyth, Khuzaima Daudjee, Update Management in Decentralized Social Networks,
in Fifth ICDCS International Workshop on Hot Topics in Peer-to-peer computing and Online Social neTworking (HotPOST'13).
P. Chairunnanda, S. Forsyth and K. Daudjee,
Graph Data Partition Models for Online Social Networks,
in 23rd ACM Conference on Hypertext and Social Media,
Shahin Kamali, Pedram Ghodsnia, Khuzaima Daudjee,
Dynamic Data Allocation with Replication in Distributed Systems,
in the 30th IEEE International Conference on Performance
Computing and Communications, 2011, 8 pages.
Patrick Kling, M. Tamer Özsu, Khuzaima Daudjee,
Scaling XML Query Processing: Distribution, Localization and Pruning,
Distributed and Parallel Databases (DAPD) journal, Volume 29, Numbers 5-6, Pages 445-490, 2011.
Patrick Kling, M. Tamer Özsu, Khuzaima Daudjee,
Generating Efficient Execution Plans for Vertically Partitioned XML Databases, in Proc. of VLDB, Vol. 4, No. 1, 2011.
S. Savinov, K. Daudjee,
Dynamic Database Replica Provisioning through Virtualization, in
Proceedings of the Second International Workshop on Cloud Data Management (CloudDB), Toronto, Canada, ACM press, 2010.
Qiang Wang, Khuzaima Daudjee, M. Tamer Özsu,
Popularity-aware Prefetch in P2P Range Caching, extended version
of P2P'08 paper, in Peer-to-Peer
Networking and Applications journal, Volume 3, Number 2, pages 145-160, Springer-Verlag, 2010.
K. Henry, C. Swanson, Q. Xie, K. Daudjee,
Efficient Hierarchical Quorums in Unstructured Peer-to-Peer Networks,
in Proceedings of the 17th International Conference on Cooperative
Information Systems (CoopIS), pages 183-200, Portugal, 2009.
- Qiang Wang, Khuzaima Daudjee, M. Tamer Özsu, Popularity-aware
Prefetch in P2P Range Caching, in Proceedings of the 8th IEEE International Conference on Peer-to-Peer Computing (P2P'08), Germany, 2008, pages 53-62.
- Khuzaima Daudjee and Kenneth Salem, Lazy Database Replication with Snapshot Isolation, in Proceedings of the 32nd International Conference on Very Large Data Bases (VLDB), Seoul, Korea, pages 715-726, ACM Press, 2006.
CS 848: focused on research problems related to managing data across large-scale systems infrastructure.
Office: Davis Centre 3106