Linux Working Group



AGENDA LOCKED

Meeting Date

  • TEAMS: 2022-05-04

Invitees - Attendees

  • Invited: Adrian, Anthony (group leader), Clayton, Guoxiang, Lori, Fraser, Devon, Nathan, Nick, Todd, Dave, Lawrence, Omar
  • Present: Adrian, Anthony (group leader), Clayton, Guoxiang, Lori, Fraser, Devon, Nathan, Todd, Lawrence, Omar

Review and accept previous meeting minutes.

Review last meeting's Action Items

  • Anthony - will create a ticket for monitoring processor data
    • Devon and Anthony making progress
    • Combined general use cpu load graph (and possibly other metrics)
  • Clayton/Fraser - document process of adding hosts to AD and move to a generally accessible place (git) -> https://rt.uwaterloo.ca/Ticket/Display.html?id=1217894
    • waiting for Fraser to test it out on graphics lab machines
  • Dave - put up Beta version of new Virtual Host Index / Anthony to create a ticket - RT#1211603 -> working on it
    • not up yet
  • Lori - create ticket for Devon to create combined graph for DFSc https://rt.uwaterloo.ca/Ticket/Display.html?id=1215768
    • ticket created for network bandwidth (RT#1215768)
      • fixed issue with averaging
    • still need to create ticket for "combined graph" - load? CPU? across all machines?
      • may need some definitions, but generally shows overall health of the Ceph cluster
    • Devon will create a combined graph of some type - can be refined
  • Lawrence - follow-up with SuperMicro re: RT#1079451 - ubuntu1804-006 CPU hardware errors
    • Looks like CPU is in flight
      • need to verify that - not clear to me - LF will follow-up
  • Anthony - update the Purpose field of currently "unused" machines in the Virtual Host Index: some progress, need to make another pass.
    • progress was made, some more work to do

Proposed Agenda Items

  • proposed reboots coming up soon?
    • ideally Thursday after 5pm, will take a couple hours
    • machines/services involved? all (most) cloud machines - general use servers - (ubuntu1804*, ubuntu2004*)
      • vault and web services should be unaffected as machines will be rebooted one-at-a-time
      • *411 hosts outside of scope of this reboot, so MySQL services will be unaffected (and dependent apps)
    • Lawrence/Omar will send out a notice
    • again suggest updating all motd files - Anthony will do ASAP
    • kernel will be reverted to 5.4 on most machines (can be put back to 5.13, if necessary)
  • Consider btrfs usage? Testing/benchmarking. Positives: snapshots, compression. RAID0/1, volume mgmt. Negatives: write hole/RAID5/6, code churn, stability - Nathan
    • do we use parity RAID? May not be an issue
    • tabled for next meeting

Action Items for next meeting

  • Anthony - create dashboards for monitoring processor data
  • Clayton/Fraser - document process of adding hosts to AD and move to a generally accessible place (git) -> https://rt.uwaterloo.ca/Ticket/Display.html?id=1217894 - Fraser to test process on GL machines
  • Dave - put up Beta version of new Virtual Host Index / Anthony to create a ticket - RT#1211603 -> working on it
  • Lori - create ticket for Devon to create combined graph for DFSc
  • Lawrence - follow-up with SuperMicro re: RT#1079451 - ubuntu1804-006 CPU hardware errors - verify CPU being shipped
  • Anthony - update the Purpose field of currently "unused" machines in the Virtual Host Index: some progress, need to make another pass.
  • Nathan - create ticket for btrf testing, especially wrt for managing LXC root file size limits
  • Lawrence/Omar - send out notice regarding upcoming between-term reboots, Anthony - update relevant motd files
Edit | Attach | Watch | Print version | History: r4 < r3 < r2 < r1 | Backlinks | Raw View | WYSIWYG | More topic actions
Topic revision: r4 - 2022-05-04 - LawrenceFolland
 
This site is powered by the TWiki collaboration platform Powered by PerlCopyright © 2008-2022 by the contributing authors. All material on this collaboration platform is the property of the contributing authors.
Ideas, requests, problems regarding TWiki? Send feedback