Linux Working Group

Meeting Date

  • TEAMS: 2023-11-01


Anthony (group leader), Lori, Dave, O, Clayton, Guoxiang, Nathan, Nick, Todd, Ed, Devon


Anthony (group leader), Clayton, Guoxiang, Nick, Todd, Devon

Review and accept previous meeting minutes.


Review last meeting's Action Items

Homedirectory quotas (a2brenna) - RTs: RT#1112506, RT#1288354, RT#1298614, et al

There is "CSCF exec" doubt about the value of managing per user quota versus flagging excessive usage and pear-pressure.
  • Will take this up with the Director on Thursday (a2brenna)

100GB quotas in staged roll out, plan detailed in tickets above

  • Email sent, see RT#1288354
    • Nick sent second reminder in mid Oct - no replies
    • How do we monitor this monthly?
  • Check with SAT development team about status of storing a storage quota in appropriate sponsorship tables.
    • Clayton has set all the "maxstorage" user entries in each Domain to an initial 100,000,000B base amount.
    • Note that in long run (by Aug 2024 hopefully) this ends up being a base amount plus additional SAT entry sponsorships once that mechanism is established. * Build a data file that contains the user and summed quota information. Specifics to be worked out between Clayton and Nathan. * Nathan has been pulled off this
  • Update quota CEPHfs xattr on homedirectories (Nathan)
    • Nathan has been pulled off this
  • Tooling to implement quotas
    • Calculate current quotas from sponsorship information, see RT#1298614 (Clayton)
  • There appears to be 3 (teaching, non-course-account) users with sponsored quota in excess of 100GB
    • Maybe re-run that query as sponsorships can change

Regarding URAs

Does SAT sponsorship contain URAs?
    • Can be sponsored by prof as part of research account/group - we need to track this
    • The main office does track a list of URA's.

Do we have a Domain "netgroup" that contains URAs?

    • We do not have this

CS Mailservers are going away

  • notice sent to administrators of systems still forwarding their mail via, some have responded/fixed their machines

Ongoing problems with Inventory and IPAM are hobbling Infrastructure operations - RT1285291

Will schedule some time to talk with Inventory team about the following (a2brenna)
  • Inventory is unaware of this IP / domain limitations in IPAM as well as DHCP and MAC address requirements
  • Some CSCF do not have access to create manual DNS entries (Devon, Lori, Guoxiang, Todd have access. Dave?)
  • Inventory bug: Changing room field on a record with IPAM DNS & DHCP causes DHCP to break
  • Anthony to reach out to IST for clarification regarding is this a policy vs technological limitation.
  • Invalid records were imported from Infoblox that work until they are edited

What's still using old MySQL?

NextCloud (Vault) pending migration

  • Scheduling Nextcloud DB migration ~21st (Nathan, Fraser)
    • Complete? Problems?

Web server (includes Inventory)

  • needs OS (whole LAMP stack) to be updated

Retire CS-GENERAL and associated domain controllers

  • Last user is Vault
    • Why can't vault switch domains to GENERAL? (a2brenna) - File space in vault is mapped to the user's UUID. Clayton has provided a mapping from GENERAL to CS-GENERAL.

NFS ganesh"> Ongoing problems with NFS ganesha server RT#1303795

  • needs further enhancements to monitoring service?
    • Devon and Anthony to prepare doc for service desk
    • More comprehensive monitoring of NFS performance is in the works (a2brenna) ~ end November

New Items

Web Service failure [][RT#1304871]

  • HAProxy hit open file limit (4096 open file descriptor), change made by a2brenna will not survive a reboot
  • Multiple failures over multiple days
  • Need to meet with team running service to provide permanent fix

Monitoring Services

  • Number of false alerts is a concern.
  • Lack of Service Maintenance outside of standard working hours has been more of a problem lately.
    • Management will need to review this.
      • Will discuss with Director (a2brenna)

More usage data needed for labs (Mac and Linux)

* When are people using the computers *


Edit | Attach | Watch | Print version | History: r2 < r1 | Backlinks | Raw View | WYSIWYG | More topic actions
Topic revision: r2 - 2023-11-01 - ToddLichty
This site is powered by the TWiki collaboration platform Powered by PerlCopyright © 2008-2024 by the contributing authors. All material on this collaboration platform is the property of the contributing authors.
Ideas, requests, problems regarding TWiki? Send feedback