Linux Working Group



Meeting Date

  • TEAMS: 2022-01-12

Invitees - Attendees

  • Adrian, Anthony (group leader), Clayton, Guoxiang, Lori, Fraser, Devon, Nathan, Nick, Todd, Dave, Lawrence, Omar

Review and accept previous meeting minutes.

Review last meeting's Action Items

  • Anthony/Adrian - work on new postfix recipe to have servers send mail out directly - RT#1204074
    • Adrian and Anthony have been discussing new recipe
    • some concerns about mail forwarding from back-end systems
    • question re: originating as "userid@uwaterloo.ca"
    • what about some of the csi-xxx@cs emails? csi-haproxy@cs csi-dfsc@cs csi-software@cs could setup: csi-cs@uwaterloo.ca csi-cs+software@uwaterloo.ca
      • for receiving "rsg-xxx-yyy@cs" emails, we created cs-rsg{+address}@uwaterloo.ca
    • does IST have a relay?
      • bulkmail.uwaterloo.ca if have stored passwords
    • question about authenticated email from the command line
  • Anthony/Guoxiang - initiate warranty - RT#1196085 - under warranty until 2025-03-30
  • Lawrence to create a ticket for Devon with a big list of Host Groups and contacts - needs to be done manually by Devon
  • RT#1194157 - /opt/csw
    • Guoxiang - tell us the size of the filesystem -> 9GB
    • Nathan - create an appropriate CephFS
      • done, it is now on DFSc
    • Clayton - create the NFS share
      • to-do
  • Devon - create ticket to document power issues to show Plant Operations
    • done?
    • Anthony will follow-up with Devon
  • Lori/Nathan - consider whether we can recover 960GB Optane cards from 422 systems
    • Was for OdysseyDB setup
    • because hardware slow to arrive?
    • current machines have enough space, so we don't need to do this
  • Guoxiang/Lori - create or report# ticket for Storage option catalogue (low priority)
    • still to-do
  • Clayton - document process of adding hosts to AD and move to a generally accessible place - create a ticket
    • still to-do
  • Lawrence to send out email to SCS everybody starting at time 1pm, expected end time 5pm
    • email sent
    • updates and reboots happened
    • Zpools behaved poorly during the process
    • RT#1201464 documents the problems "Extreme ZFS performance degradation"
      • kudos to Fraser for his assistance with this issue

Proposed Agenda Items

Issues with DFSc

  • approaching the issue on 3 fronts
    • test system on a block Rados device as a possible alternative solution
    • possibly use the previous NetApp for one of the home filesystems as a comparison
      • Guoxiang - would require some updates of the NetApp system
      • Anthony - would like to do some initial testing
      • Anthony - create a ticket to request Guoxiang to create a test volume on the NetApp
    • continuing to tweak Ceph parameters to avoid lockups / performance issues
      • are all NFS/Ganesha servers updated?
      • Clayton says yes, but there is an issue with one of the machines
      • old ones need to be shutdown/decommissioned
      • testing / comparison of performance in various scenarios - see RT#1194172 for home directory performance in CS-General and CS-Teaching

Action Items for next meeting

  • Anthony - create a ticket for documentation of AD process -> assign to Clayton
  • Anthony - create a ticket to request Guoxiang to create a test volume on the NetApp
  • Anthony - create a ticket to document experiments with network file performance
  • Anthony/Adrian - work on new postfix recipe to have servers send mail out directly - RT#1204074
  • Anthony/Guoxiang - initiate warranty - RT#1196085 - under warranty until 2025-03-30
  • Clayton - decommission the older NFS / Ganesha servers
  • Clayton - document process of adding hosts to AD and move to a generally accessible place
  • Clayton - create NFS share /opt/csw - RT#1194157 - /opt/csw
  • Devon - create ticket to document power issues to show Plant Operations - done? Anthony will follow-up
  • Guoxiang/Lori - create or report# ticket for Storage option catalogue (low priority)
  • Lawrence - discuss continued use of the NetApp with MFCF
  • Lawrence / RSG - update jerusalem and graceland to mount new NFS share
Edit | Attach | Watch | Print version | History: r4 < r3 < r2 < r1 | Backlinks | Raw View | WYSIWYG | More topic actions
Topic revision: r4 - 2022-01-25 - LawrenceFolland
 
This site is powered by the TWiki collaboration platform Powered by PerlCopyright © 2008-2022 by the contributing authors. All material on this collaboration platform is the property of the contributing authors.
Ideas, requests, problems regarding TWiki? Send feedback