Linux Working Group - Meeting Minutes 2008/07/19

Attendance

  • Stephen Nickerson, Walter Tautz, Lawrence Folland, Dave Gawley
  • No shows: Mike Patterson, Mike Gore
  • Away: Phil Beldowski

Agenda items

  • what to do about the new machines - RAID not going to work?

Discussion

  • Hosting Meeting - Lawrence

  • New hardware for Fall
    • RAID controller in new machines is not supported properly
    • Software: Unison
      • needs to be evaluated
    • Dave recommends setting up machines with one drive then have someone integrate Unison into the image
    • Lawrence: where to back up to?
      • Dave: either the second internal drive, or some external network storage
    • another possibility - get a hardware RAID card for each machine

    • AMD is discontinuing current line of 2 core processors we're currently using
      • now available: 3 or 4 core chips
      • or low energy 2-core chips (but slower)

    • Lawrence suggests using rsync in each OS and automated tasks
      • eg: Windows with Cygwin: rsync -ruaz "/cygdrive/c" "/cygdrive/d" -e ssh
      • or Linux and cron
      • means that files deleted can be recovered

  • Action items from previous meeting
    • Dave/LF/MP: update mailing list and membership list - use mailman list: cs-lwg
      • not sure of status
    • Dave/LF to setup Authentication meeting
      • Done, see:
    • MP/Clayton to determine how to do the password lockout
      • ?
    • Phil/Clayton - implement the lockout - modify PAM settings
      • no progress
    • Walter/LF to review Linux Twiki setup
      • Walter sent out suggestions - LF yet to respond ...
      • in progress
    • Phil/Dave to review Test Suite
      • in progress
    • MG/Phil/Dave - review PC hardware for Fall
      • in progress
    • LF will book next meeting time/location

  • Next meeting date:
    • seems to be interest in meeting again this summer - July/August - lots of items
      • perhaps in two weeks to review hardware decisions
    • preferred meeting room - should have projector, white board, eg: DC3323
Topic revision: r1 - 2008-07-18 - LawrenceFolland
 
This site is powered by the TWiki collaboration platform Powered by PerlCopyright © 2008-2019 by the contributing authors. All material on this collaboration platform is the property of the contributing authors.
Ideas, requests, problems regarding TWiki? Send feedback