Linux Working Group - Meeting Minutes 2008/06/02

Attendance

  • Mike Patterson, Mike Gore, Walter Tautz, Lawrence Folland, Phil Beldowski, Dave Gawley

Agenda items

  • The Wiki topics on Ubuntu/Linux should be organized a bit better and some pruning should be done
  • how about we create an IRC server to allow for realtime discussion not just respect to Linux but other topics within CSCF

-- WalterTautz - 06 Mar 2008

  • torres.cscf runs an IRC server I use to talk to various IST people, and also some grad students. I can document how to connect to it and which channels to use (and which should be avoided, as the server is used by other parties) if need be.

-- MikePatterson

  • 2008/04/08 (lfolland) I see there is some work going on relating to AD and Linux in ADAddUbuntu - I'd like to hear more about the status of this
  • 2008/04/08 (lfolland) I've been working with our co-op student to start a standardized list of software/features that should be operational in each of our OS environments, eg: LinuxTestSuite

  • 2008/05/22: MP: PAM account login lockouts?

Discussion

  • Hosting Meeting - Lawrence

  • Membership
    • meeting attendees
    • Daniel, Fraser, Guoxiang?

  • Meetings
    • should meet regularly
    • Dave suggests at least after each Ubuntu release
    • LF/MP suggest termly

  • Current image
    • standard grad PC image right now - Ubuntu 7.10
    • Aiming for 8.04 for Fall Grad PC images
    • Teaching workstations
    • currently have both Ubuntu and Kubuntu on our GradPCs
      • MP feels that makes sense to keep

  • Classes of linux machines we manage:
    • GradPCs (~300)
    • "core" Front-Ends (2)
    • core mail/web/db (currently Solaris) (2/2/2)
    • Teaching Front-Ends (6)
    • Teaching mail/web/db (1/1/2)
    • Teaching CPUs (3)
    • Teaching workstations (Graphics and Nortel labs) (50-60)
    • Other: VMhosts (202-206) - experimental, xhier-independant
      • 2-factor authentication

  • Current release levels
    • GradPCs -> 8.04 Fall
    • Dave is working with the CSI to get AD authentication on all Teaching machines for the Fall
      • MP is concerned about 8-character password restrictions
      • Authentication issues should be tabled until Clayton is involved
      • LF suggests a meeting (soon) to discuss authentication issues - including Clayton and Adrian

  • MP: password lockouts after 5 failures
    • would like to have added to current image, with possibly 5-minute lockout

  • Wiki space
    • Walter notes that the Twiki space is messy * Obsolete sub-items
    • agreed that Linux Working Group be responsible for the Linux Twiki Space

  • New hardware for Fall?
    • likely - therefore will need to test new image on new hardware
    • dual-core vs quad-core - memory starvation, esp. Intel

  • Action items
    • Dave/LF/MP: update mailing list and membership list - use mailman list: cs-lwg
    • Dave/LF to setup Authentication meeting
    • MP/Clayton to determine how to do the password lockout
    • Phil/Clayton - implement the lockout - modify PAM settings
    • Walter/LF to review Linux Twiki setup
    • Phil/Dave to review Test Suite
    • MG/Phil/Dave - review PC hardware for Fall
    • LF will book next meeting time/location

  • Next meeting date:
    • seems to be interest in meeting again this summer - July/August - lots of items
    • preferred meeting room - should have projector, white board, eg: DC3323
Edit | Attach | Watch | Print version | History: r3 < r2 < r1 | Backlinks | Raw View | WYSIWYG | More topic actions
Topic revision: r3 - 2013-02-11 - DrewPilcher
 
This site is powered by the TWiki collaboration platform Powered by PerlCopyright © 2008-2020 by the contributing authors. All material on this collaboration platform is the property of the contributing authors.
Ideas, requests, problems regarding TWiki? Send feedback