- Aayush Rajasekaran, M. Math student, started Fall 2016
- Sajed Haque, M. Math student, started Fall 2015
- Taylor Jonathan Smith, M. Math student, started
- Chen Fei Du, M. Math student, started Spring 2013
- Daniel Goc, M. Math student, started Fall 2011. Thesis,
completed August 2013, "Automatic sequences and decidable
properties: implementation and applications". Readers: Kevin
Hare and Timothy Chan.
- Shuo Tan, M. Math student, started Fall 2011. Thesis,
completed August 2013, "Two results on words". Readers: Bin Ma and Ming Li.
- Hamoon Mousavi, M. Math. student, started Fall 2011.
Thesis, completed August 2013, "Repetitions in words".
Readers: Jonathan Buss and Larry Cummings.
- Luke Schaeffer, M. Math. student, started Fall 2011.
Thesis, completed August 2013,
"Deciding properties of
automatic sequences". Readers: Jason Bell and Shai
- Alex Leong, M. Math. student, started Fall 2010; finished
Fall 2011. Thesis: Variations
on the Erdos Discrepancy Problem
- Thomas Ang, M. Math. student, started Fall 2008, finished
May 2010. Thesis:
"Problems Related to Shortest Strings in Formal Languages"
- Zhi Xu, Ph. D. student, started Spring 2007. Defended thesis,
August 2009. Held postdoc with Lila Kari at the
University of Western Ontario. Currently employed by Google Waterloo.
Thesis, The Frobenius Problem in a Free
- Dalia Krieger, Ph. D. student, started Fall 2004. Defended thesis, 2008. Thesis,
Critical Exponents and Stabilizers of Infinite Words. Held postdoc in Israel. Currently employed in software company in Israel.
- Narad Rampersad, M. Math. student, thesis option, Spring 2004,
"Infinite Sequences and Pattern Avoidance".
Completed his Ph. D., "Overlap-Free Words and Generalizations", Fall 2007. Held postdocs at at U. Winnipeg and
University of Liège, Belgium. Currently a professor at
the University of Winnipeg.
- Bryan Krawetz, M. Math. student, thesis option, Winter 2004.
Monoids and the state complexity of root(L)
Currently works for Google Waterloo.
- In ps format
- In pdf format
- Lesley Macpherson, M. Math., thesis option, 2002.
Grey Level Visual Cryptography for General Access
- Keith Ellul, M. Math. thesis option, 2002; finished 2004.
Descriptional Complexity Measures of Regular Languages.
- Andrew Martinez, M. Math. student, thesis option, 2002.
Topics in Formal Languages:
String Enumeration, Unary NFA's, and State Complexity.
- Troy Vasiga, Ph. D. student, began Fall 2000, finished
August 2008 (part-time). Error
Detection in Number-Theoretic and Algebraic Algorithms.
Currently teaching faculty at the University of Waterloo.
- Michael Domaratzki, M. Math., thesis option, 2001.
Minimal covers of formal languages. pdf
- Currently a professor at University of Manitoba
- Ming-wei Wang, M. Math., thesis option, 1999.
Subword complexity and a matrix inequality.
Ph. D., Spring 2004, Periodicity and repetition in
combinatorics on words. Currently works for Microsoft in
- David Swart, M. Math., thesis option, 1998.
Calculating the ith letter of the nth word in
For the programs from his thesis, see here.
- Currently employed at Northern Digital, Waterloo,
- Dave Hamm, M. Math., thesis option, 1998.
Contributions to Formal Language Theory: Fixed Points,
Complexity, and Context-Free Sequences
- Currently employed at Oracle Corp., working on
www.crmondemand.com, living in Vancouver area.
- Ian Matthew Glaister, M. Math., thesis option, 1995.
Automaticity and Closure Properties. Currently
Senior Software Developer at Fidelity National Information Services,
- Qi Xiang Zhang, M. Math., essay option, 1994.
- Peter Wei Liang Liu, M. Math., essay option, 1994,
"Efficient Recognition of Integer Sequences"
- Eric Rowland
- Thomas Stoll
- Emilie Charlier
- Tim Smith