Senior Software Developer and Research Assistant @
Computation Group - University
Member of the pen-math group
working on building MathBrush,
a system for enabling mathematics on pen-based and touch-based devices. MathBrush accepts
hand-written mathematical expressions from the user and provides multiple
processing functionalities such as rendering, editing and manipulation
using any integrated Computer Algebra Systems (CAS). The project is a
platform for investigating hand written math issues. Among the many issues that the project investigates are: interface issues on different platforms and various input paradigms, recognition issues, natural editing and manipulation of hand written expressions, and processing and operationg on the expressions to generate results.
My contributions include the
following: participated in the design phases of the project architecture;
implemented the math rendering tool (to render Presentation MathML); designed and
implemented the MathBrush GUI on Windows, Mac and iPad; implemented the integration
interface with Maple and Mathematica CAS; and participated in project
management and writing progress reports and technical papers.
Development tools include: C++, C#, and Objective C.
Senior System Developer/Analyst @
Indiana Center for Database Systems (ICDS) - Purdue University
A key member in two main projects at ICDS
The Knowledge Projection Project (KPP) for Naval Surface Warfare Center (NSWC) Crane Project. The project automates the maintenance process on board ships at NSWC.
contributions include the following: worked as a part of the team in the
analysis of requirements and collaborated with project principles to
determine features and capabilities of the prototype; designed the database
schema for specification of dynamic troubleshooting process; developed
several pieces of code for accessing and manipulating the stored knowledge
base for maintenance automation; managed a small team of undergraduate and graduate students and
integrated their contributions in the system code base; and prepared project reports, presentations
The Purdue team
won the 2005 MIRA Award for the KPP Project.
Development tools include: Oracle 9i, with Java stored procedures for processing XML
data and JSP for producing web-enabled client interfaces, XSL
transformations to filter XML data and generate HTML for client
VDBMS Project: Video Database
The project implements extensions to an object oriented DBMS (PREDATOR) to support
querying videos by content and streaming of video data.
My contributions include the following: implemented a video processing tool
for video segmentation, shot detection, key frame extraction, low-level
visual features extraction, and camera motion classification; designed and implemented a video database
client interface to support video content-based retrieval and presentation;
and implemented server side functions to process MPEG videos in the
compressed domain for online video processing such as picture extraction,
region blurring and fast forwarding.
prototype has been demonstrated at top-tier database research venues such
as ICDE[2002,2004] and a full description
has appeared in the ACM Multimedia Systems Journal.
The work on video processing and image segmentation has also appeared in
Journal of Electronic Imaging 
Development tools include: C and Visual C++.
Summer Co-Op @
Hewlett Packard Labs, Palo-Alto, California
Worked with the Data Center Architecture Smart Cooling
Research Team to implement the Data Center Robot "Roborunner". The
robot reports hot spots in data centers for cooling adjustment and
redistribution of system workload. I programmed the robot (from Activmedia
Robotics) to create maps and to move autonomously in the mapped
environment (targeting certain goals and avoiding obstacles). The robot
reports hot spots in data centers for cooling adjustment and redistribution
of system workload.
Roborunner project was featured in
NBC3 news August 2002
Development tools include: C.
System Developer and Design@
Eastern Mediterranean Regional Office - WHO
My duties included the
following: designed and implemented web-based applications for data entry
and retrieval and of client/server applications for local use; provided
maintenance of pre-installed programs (FoxPro and Visual Basic). I obtained
training courses in SQL Server 7 and Visual Interdev.
Development tools include: Visual Basic, Power Builder,
FoxPro and Visual Interdev with Microsoft SQL as a backend.
Worked for a local software house in Alexandria, Egypt mainly for software
analysis and design and implementing financial applications. Worked
for the Arab Academy of Science and Technology for implementing shipment
applications. During my work there, I obtained an Oracle training course. Worked for Computer Science department University of Alexandria for gathering system requirements and analysis of data as part of a consultation project in the University.
Development tools include: FoxPro and Oracle.
- Scott MacLean, David Tausky, George Labahn, Edward Lank, Mirette Marzouk: Is the iPad useful for sketch input? A comparison with the Tablet PC. Proc. of Eurographics Workshop on Sketch-Based Interfaces and Modelling (SBIM), 2011.
- Scott MacLean, George Labahn, Edward Lank, Mirette Marzouk, David Tausky: Grammar-based techniques for creating ground-truthed sketch corpora, International Journal of Document Analysis and Recognition (IJDAR), 2011.
- Scott MacLean, David Tausky, George Labahn, Edward Lank, Mirette Marzouk: Tools for the Efficient Generation of Hand-Drawn Corpora Based on Context-Free Grammars, Proc. of Eurographics Workshop on Sketch-Based Interfaces and Modelling (SBIM), 2009.
- George Labahn, Edward Lank, Scott MacLean, Mirette Marzouk, David Tausky: MathBrush: A System for Doing Math on Pen-Based Devices, Proc. of The Eighth IAPR Workshop on Document Analysis Systems (DAS), 2008.
- George Labahn, Edward Lank, Mirette Marzouk, Andrea Bunt, Scott MacLean, David Tausky: MathBrush: A Case Study for Pen-based Interactive Mathematics, Proc. of Eurographics Workshop on Sketch-Based Interfaces and Modelling (SBIM), 2008.
- D. Tausky, G. Labahn, E. Lank and M. Marzouk: Managing Ambiguity in Mathematical Matrices, Proc. of Eurographics Workshop on Sketch-Based Interfaces and Modelling (SBIM), 2007.
- George Labahn, Scott MacLean, Mirette Marzouk, Ian Rutherford, David Tausky: MathBrush: An Experimental Pen-Based Math System, Dagstuhl Seminar Proceedings, Challenges in Symbolic Computation Software, Germany, October 2006.
- George Labahn, Scott MacLean, Mirette Marzouk, Ian Rutherford, David Tausky: A Preliminary Report on the MathBrush Pen-Math System, Proc. Maple Conference 2006, pp. 162-178, Waterloo, Canada, July 2006.
- W. G. Aref, A. K. Elmagarmid, M. Ali, M. Elfeky, M. Eltabak, T. Ghanemm, M. Hammad, I. F. Ilyas, Ming Lu, M. Marzouk, M. Mokbel, X. Xiong: Nile: A Query Processing Engine for Data Streams, in the International Conference On Data Engineering, ICDE 2004, Boston. (demo)
- Walid G. Aref, Ann C. Catlin, Ahmed K. Elmagarmid, J. Fan, Moustafa A. Hammad, Ihab F. Ilyas, Mirette Marzouk, Sunil Prabhakar, X. Zhu: VDBMS: A testbed facility for research in video database benchmarking, ACM Multimedia Systems Journal, Special Issue on Multimedia Document Management Systems 2003.
- Walid G. Aref, Ann C. Catlin, Ahmed K. Elmagarmid, Moustafa Hammad, Ihab F. Ilyas, Mirette Marzouk, Thanaa Ghanem: Video Query Processing in the VDBMS Testbed for Video Database Research, The ACM International Workshop on Multimedia Databases , ACM MMDB 2003, New Orleans, Louisiana, pp. 25-32.
- Walid G. Aref, Ann C. Catlin, Ahmed K. Elmagarmid, J. Fan, Moustafa Hammad, Ihab F. Ilyas, Mirette Marzouk, Sunil Prabhakar, Y. Tu, X. Zhu: VDBMS: A testbed facility for research in video database benchmarking, In Proceedings of the 9th International Conference on Distributed Multimedia Systems, DMS 2003, Miami, Florida, pp. 160-166.
- Walid G. Aref, Ann C. Catlin, J. Fan, Ahmed K. Elmagarmid, Moustafa Hammad, Ihab F. Ilyas, Mirette Marzouk, Xingquan Zhu: A Video Database Management System for Advancing Video Database Research, the International Workshop on Multimedia Information Systems, MIS 2002, Tempe, Arizona, pp. 8-17.
- W. G. Aref, A.C. Catlin, A. K. Elmagarmid, J. Fan, J. Guo, M. Hammad, I. F. Ilyas, M. Marzouk, S. Prabhakar, A. Rezgui, S. Teoh, E. Terzi, Y. Tu, A. Vakali, X. Q. Zhu: A Distributed Database Server for Continuous Media, in the International Conference on Data Engineering, ICDE 2002, San Jose, California, pp. 490-491. (demo)
- Jianping Fan, Walid G. Aref, Ahmed K. Elmagarmid, Mohand-Saad Hacid, Mirette Marzouk, Xingquan Zhu: MultiView: Multi-level Video Content Representation and Retrieval, Journal of Electronic Imaging 14(4), 2001.