Skip to the content of the web site.


Air Transportation

Getting to Waterloo by air is easy. The options are to fly to:

Toronto (Lester B. Pearson Airport -- airport code YYZ).
The Toronto airport is served by most global carriers. The airport is about 70 minutes from Waterloo and is served by convenient ground transportation.

Hamilton (airport code YHM).
The Hamilton airport is served by Air Canada, West Jet in North America and Globespan to the UK and Ireland. The airport is about 70 minutes from Waterloo and is served by convenient ground transportation.

Region of Waterloo Airport (airport code YKF).
Kitchener-Waterloo is a small regional airport, very close to Waterloo (20 minutes by taxi). Services by Northwest Airlines from Detroit (you must have appropriate visa status to land in Detroit and make this transfer).

Buffalo Niagara International Airport (airport code BUF).
Buffalo is a mid-sized airport and is served by most American carriers, including Southwest airlines. This is useful option if you are a US citizen but do not have a passport. From Buffalo it is about 2.5 hours to Waterloo by car.

London Ontario International Airport (airport code YXU).
London is a mid-sized airport served by Air Canada, West Jet, and Northwest Airlines. This may be useful if you are planning to attend SNC/PASCO prior to ISSAC and rent a car. There is no direct ground transportation between London airport and Waterloo; it is about 70 minutes by car.

Detroit/Windsor (Detroit airport code DTW, Windsor airport code YQG).
Service to Windsor by Air Canada and WestJet, service to Detroit by most global carriers. Participants who are also attending Applications of Computer Algebra (ACA) in Oakland, MI, and SNC/PASCO in London, ON, might wish to fly to Detroit/Windsor and rent a car there. From Detroit/Windsor it is about 2.5 hours by car to London, and 3.5 hours to Waterloo.

Note for Americans

Under the new Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative you will need a valid US passport to return to the US by air.

For land travel, however, you need only:

  1. proof of your U.S. citizenship such as a certified copy of your birth certificate issued by the city, county or state in the U.S. where you were born. (A driver's license, voter's registration card or Social Security card is NOT valid proof of citizenship.)
  2. photo identification, such as a current, valid driver's license.
If you do not have a passport, and cannot get one in time, your best option is to fly to Buffalo or Detroit, and cross the border by land.

This file last modified 06/05/07