What is the point of listing my travels? If I've been somewhere you
haven't, does that make me a better person? Or vice-versa? Before I
was thirty, I'd been through every line of longitude on the planet, and
visited 49 of the 50 United States. So what?
Travel isn't a competition, with yourself or anyone else. He who dies
with the most stamps in his passport probably loses, as he probably didn't stop
to contemplate the scenery whizzing by. (I'm deliberately using "he".)
The only reason this list is here is because
I might have shared some elements of a travel
experience with you, or be able to help you in some planning.
These are all the trips I've taken as an adult, not counting frequent
visits to friends and family in the California Bay Area, and, from
October 2017, to New York City. All trips
from December 1992 to March 2011 were with my children,
unless otherwise noted.
- Summer 1981: Drive, Southern Ontario to California and back.
- Christmas 1981: New Orleans, Louisiana.
- Summer 1982: India (ten weeks: Bombay, Delhi, Agra, Jaipur,
Khajuraho, Goa, Bangalore, Trivandrum, Madras), Geneva, Venice,
Florence, Rome, Paris (two weeks), London, UK (two weeks). Drive,
Southern Ontario to California.
- Summer 1983: Seattle, Washington and Vancouver, BC.
- Fall 1983: Drive, Berkeley, California to Tucson, Arizona and
- Spring 1984: 2200 mile circuit of western United States, in three
days, by rented car.
- Summer 1984: Drive, Berkeley, California to Eugene, Oregon and back.
- Fall 1984: Palm Beach, Florida.
- Christmas 1984: Drive across southern United States, from Berkeley,
California to Greensboro, North Carolina, and back by way of
- Spring 1985: Boston, Massachusetts; Providence, Rhode Island.
- Summer 1985: Greece (Athens, Monemvasia, Gythion, Nafplion,
Spetses, Ioannina, Parga, Igoumenitsa, Corfu),
Yugoslavia (Dubrovnik, Korcula, Split, Zadar, Rijeka, Opatija),
Italy (Trieste, Udine, Verona, Milan, Pavia),
Switzerland (Zurich), Bodensee, Lichtenstein, Italian alps (Bormio).
- Fall 1985: Portland, Oregon (alone). Drive from Berkeley,
California to Seattle, Washington, and back.
- Winter 1986: Drive, Berkeley, California to Toronto, Ontario.
- Summer 1987: Honolulu, Hawaii; China (seven weeks: Hong Kong,
Guangzhou, Changsha, Xian, Lanzhou, Turfan, Urumqi, Kashgar, Chengdu).
- Fall 1987: Los Angeles, California (alone).
- Summer 1988: Drive, Toronto to Canadian Atlantic provinces (Gaspe
peninsula, New Brunswick, Nova Scotia, PEI) and American eastern
seaboard (Maine, New Hampshire, Massachusetts, Vermont), and back.
- Fall 1988: New York City.
- Spring 1989: Seattle, Washington.
- Summer 1989: Santa Fe, New Mexico (one week); Portugal (three
weeks, Lisbon to Porto along coast and inland, Tras-Os-Montes).
- Fall 1989: Durham, North Carolina.
- Spring 1990: Drive, Toronto to Baltimore, Maryland and
Washington, DC, by way of West Virginia (state number 49) and various
Civil War battlefields.
- Summer 1990: Greece (two weeks: Athens, Crete, Santorini),
Barcelona, Spain (ten days), Coventry, UK (one week), Brecon Beacons
National Park (Wales, UK).
- Fall 1990: Saint Louis, Missouri.
- Winter 1991: New Orleans, Louisiana.
- Summer 1991: Hilton Head, South Carolina.
- Fall 1991: Puerto Rico (one week).
- Winter 1992: Paris, France (two weeks).
- Summer 1992: Vancouver, B.C.; San Diego, CA.
- Fall 1992: Germany (Trier region), Strasbourg (one week total, alone).
- Summer 1993: Montreal; Madison, Wisconsin.
- September 1993: Germany (one week: Trier area), France (one
month; Paris, Alsace-Lorraine, Burgundy, Loire Valley).
- June 1994: Cape May, New Jersey (one week).
- July 1994: Copenhagen and Aarhus, Denmark (one week).
- August 1994: Guadeloupe, Dominica (two weeks).
- November 1994: Santa Fe, New Mexico (one week).
- April 1995: Providence, Rhode Island.
- October 1995: Italy (one month; Cinque Terre, Florence, Siena,
- February 1996: Paris and Grenoble, France (ten days).
- July 1996: Italy (one month; Siena, Venice).
- November 1996: Lubeck, Germany, and Paris, France (one week, alone).
- April 1997: Phoenix and Tucson, Arizona (ten days).
- July 1997: drive, Southwestern Ontario to Providence, Rhode
Island and back.
- July 1997: drive, Southwestern Ontario to Vancouver, B.C.
- March 1998: Big Island of Hawaii.
- May 1998: Phoenix and Flagstaff, Arizona, plus the Grand Canyon
and Sedona (one week, alone).
- May 1998: camping on Galiano Island, B.C.
- July 1998: drive, Vancouver, B.C. to Southwestern Ontario.
- August 1998: Venice (two weeks)
- July 1999: Paris (two weeks)
- November 1999: Barcelona (two days, alone)
- March 2000: New York City (one week)
- July 2000: Norway, Amsterdam, Barcelona (three weeks)
- February 2001: Barbados (one week, research visit)
- July 2001: Rome and Naples (three weeks)
- March 2002: London, England (two days,
- July 2002: Southern France (three weeks)
- July 2003: Paris (three weeks)
- February 2004: Barbados (one week, research visit)
- July 2004: Florence and Venice (three weeks)
- March 2005: New York City (one week)
- July 2005: Rome, Tuscany, and London (two
weeks, plus a long weekend)
- July 2006: Paris (two weeks)
- December 2006: New York City (one week)
- July 2007: Chicago (one week)
- July/August 2007: Salinas, Monterey, Mendocino, Fort Bragg
(excursions from Berkeley)
- December 2007: New York City (ten days)
- July 2008: Ottawa and Montreal (one week), Philadelphia and
vicinity (one week)
- August 2008: Portland, Maine (three days)
- September 2008: Victoria, BC (five days, alone)
- December 2008: New York City (one week)
- September 2009: Chicago, Minneapolis (one week)
- July 2010: Japan, mostly Kansai region (Osaka, Kyoto, Nara, Kobe)
but also Hiroshima, Tomonoura, Kurashiki, Okayama, Himeji (three
- September 2010: Washington, DC; Baltimore; New York City (nine
days, mostly alone)
- October 2010: Minneapolis and Northfield, MN (three days)
- November 2010: Los Angeles (five days, alone)
- December 2010: New York City (eight days)
- February 2011: Minneapolis and Northfield, MN (five days)
- March 2011: San Francisco and Berkeley, CA (one week)
- July 2011: Chicago (one week); Boston (four days)
- August-September 2011: Paris (one week); Morocco (one week:
Rabat, Fes, Meknes).
- June 2012: Scotland (one week); London (one week).
- October 2012: Boston (three days); Washington, DC (four days).
- November 2012: Oakland (ten days); New York City (one week).
- July 2013: Chicago (five days).
- September 2013: Boston (ten days).
- January 2014: San Diego (three days).
- May 2014: Paris (two weeks); the Netherlands (two weeks).
- September 2014: Gothenburg, Sweden (one week).
- November 2014: Austin (four days).
- December 2014: Phoenix (two days).
- February 2015: Cambodia (Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, ten days).
- June 2015: Eugene, Oregon (two weeks).
- August 2015: Washington, DC (one week).
- September 2015: Vancouver, BC (one week).
- October 2015: New York City (one week); Sapporo (one week).
- November 2015: Kyoto (one week).
- December 2015: New York City (eleven days).
- January-February 2016: Senegal (Mbour, one month).
- March 2016: Japan (Kochi, Kyoto, two weeks).
- June 2016: Washington, DC (ten days).
- July 2016: Darmstadt, Munich, Zurich (two weeks).
- August 2016: London, UK (ten days).
- September 2016: Japan (Osaka, Nara, ten days).
- October 2016: New York City (four days).
- November 2016: New York City (four days).
- January 2017: Paris (twelve days), Brussels (Bruges, Ghent, five
- March 2017: Copenhagen (seven days), Berlin (five days).
- June 2017: New York City (four days).
- August 2017: UK: London (five days), Oxford (seven days)
- September 2017: Taipei, Taiwan (three days), Hong Kong (seven
- October 2017: Seattle (four days).
- February 2018: Lisbon, Portugal (ten days).
- May 2018: Washington, DC (four days).
- June 2018: San Bruno, San Francisco (five days); Panama City,
Panama (one week).
- July 2018: Salt Lake City (one week); Barcelona, Montpellier,
Toulouse (two weeks).
- August 2018: Baltimore, MD (two days), La Crosse, WI (two days).
- October 2018: Amsterdam (four days), Barcelona (one week), Lyon
(two days), Paris (two days).
- December 2018: Winnipeg (four days).
- January 2019: Lisbon (eight days), Brussels (four days).
- February 2019: Paris (one week).
- March 2019: Kobe, Japan (ten days), Tokyo (three days).
- May-June 2019: Dublin (five days), London (five days).
- June 2019: Vancouver (four days).
- June-July 2019: Marrakesh (six days), Paris (six days).