- Ph.D. candidate in the David R. Cheriton School of Computer Science, University of Waterloo, Canada
- MultiMediaTechnology with a major in Augmented Reality and Game Development (2014, Bachelor of Science in Engineering, link to bachelor thesis) at Salzburg University of Applied Sciences, Austria
- Medicine (2011, pre-clinical examination) at the University of Marburg, Germany
- Co-founder and Head of IT at Stilnest.com, online-store for 3D-printed designer accessories (2013-2015)
My research at the University of Waterloo, where I am supervised by Dr. Edith Law and Dr. Kate Larson, is located at the intersection of machine learning and human-computer interaction. In particular, I look at how we can combine the power of human and machine intelligence to solve problems too hard to be tackled by computational methods alone (i.e., crowdsourcing). My work in this topic revolves around the analysis of medical time series data. In the past, I have applied methods of data visualization and collaborative analysis of biosignals to the field of games user research in collaboration with Dr. Lennart Nacke. All in all, I operate in the hybrid and emerging space of Human-Centered Machine Learning. Just recently, I gave a talk at a workshop on that topic at CHI 2016 in San Jose, CA.
- 04/2018: I was awarded the Google PhD Fellowship, as one of 39 recipients globally and the only one from Canada.
- 04/2018: I will start my Research Internship at Google, Mountain View, CA.
- 06/2017: Our paper Curiously Motivated: Profiling Curiosity with Self-Reports and Behaviour Metrics in the Game “Destiny” was accepted to CHI PLAY 2017, to be held at Amsterdam, Netherlands.
- 05/2017: I will be joining the FLOWing Epigenetic Robots and Systems lab at Inria, Bordeaux, France, as a visiting researcher.
- 01/2017: Our paper Online Bayesian Transfer Learning for Sequential Data Modeling was accepted to the International Conference on Learning Representations (ICLR 2017), to be held in Toulon, France.
- 01/2017: I started my Software Engineering Internship at Google, Mountain View, CA.
- 10/2016: Our workshop Designing for Curiosity: An Interdisciplinary Workshop was accepted to CHI 2017.
- 09/2016: Our paper Testing Incremental Difficulty Design in Platformer Games was accepted to CHI 2017, to be held at Denver, CO.
- 03/2016: I presented our position paper at the workshop on Human-Centered Machine Learning at CHI 2016, San Jose, CA.