Frank Wm. Tompa
DC 1313, ext. 34675
fwtompa at uwaterloo . ca
David R. Cheriton School of Computer Science
University of Waterloo
200 University Avenue West
Waterloo, Ontario N2L 3G1
(519) 888-4567 ext. 34675
fax: (519) 885-1208
||"I have no data yet. It is a capital mistake to
theorize before one has data."
A. Conan Doyle
Adventures of Sherlock Holmes
Adventure 1. A Scandal in Bohemia
Distinguished Professor Emeritus and Adjunct Professor in the David R.
Cheriton School of
Computer Science and a member of the Data Systems Group.
Teaching and research interests span the fields of data structures
and databases, particularly the design of text management systems
suitable for maintaining large reference texts (including the Oxford English Dictionary) and
large, heterogeneous text collections.
- Winner of a CACS/AIC Lifetime Achievement Award for "outstanding and sustained contributions to computing."
- Designated Distinguished Professor Emeritus by the Univesity of Waterloo.
- Awarded the degree Doctor of Laws, honoris causa, by Dalhousie University for "outstanding personal achievements."
- Awarded the Queen Elizabeth II Diamond Jubilee Medal created "to honour Her Majesty for her service to this country... [and] to honour significant contributions and achievements by Canadians"; more specifically "in light of ... significant contributions to text data and design systems for maintaining large reference texts."
- Named an ACM Fellow "to recognize and honor outstanding ACM members for their achievements in computer science and information technology and for their significant contributions to the mission of the ACM" and more specifically "for contributions to text-dominated and semi-structured data management."
- Recognized by the University of Waterloo and the City of Waterloo
as one of those who "epitomize the energy and enterprise that
characterize the University of Waterloo"
through the naming of the road Frank
- Received a University of Waterloo Award
of Excellence in Graduate Supervision "to recognize exemplary
faculty members who have demonstrated excellence
in graduate student supervision."
- 2000 and 2007
- Received a University of Waterloo Mathematics Faculty Fellowship
and a David R. Cheriton
"to recognize a faculty member whose scholarly work has gained national
or international attention, whose teaching ability is exceptional,
and who has displayed a high level of commitment and dedication to
her/his department, the Faculty of Mathematics, and the University."
- Received a University-Industry Synergy R&D Partnership Award
from the Conference Board of Canada and NSERC, as a result of the
Canada-funded Canadian Strategic Software Consortium (CSSC) project,
entitled Text/Relational Database Management Systems,
with industrial partners Fulcrum, Grafnetix, InContext, Megalith, Open
Text, PSSystems, and SoftQuad.
- Named a "leader in Canadian Science" by the Natural Sciences and
Engineering Research Council of Canada (NSERC) in their first
of twelve Great Canadian Success Stories, as a result of the
NSERC Cooperative R&D project with the Oxford University Press,
entitled Text-dominated databases.
In addition to advising and supervising students, courses taught cover
introductory to advanced topics aimed at specialists, non-specialists,
and software professionals.
- Students supervised
- Courses taught