[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Argentine's elections

The reason Menem is doing so well in the campaign, whether he wins or
not, is for the same reason Fugimori won in Peru, Cardoso in Brazil,
and the PRI in Mexico.  The majority of people in Latin America are
discusted and exhausted with traditional protectionism and
leftist-populist politics, and are voting for neoliberals who might
shape markets to serve the people instead of the state.  This is not
because the neoliberals are worth the votes they get - they tend to
use the market for themselves only - rather this tendency reflects the
impotence of the leftist alternatives.  What is sorely lacking is
creative thinking - I admit I have little to offer myself, but I am
capable of admitting the failure of any group so far to offer an
intellegent alternative to neoliberal promises.

Victor