CS 338: Computer Applications in Business: Databases
Fundamentals of Database Systems, the Sixth or Fifth Edition by R. Elmasri and S. Navathe, Pearson, 2011.
- Text is recommended, not required.
- Many used copies are available.
- Some copies are on reserve in the DC library (call number 1516)
- Course introduction
- Introduction to the database management
- Relational Data Model
- Constraints and Updates
- Introduction to SQL
- Relational algebra
- Advanced SQL: Aggregate, Group, and Nested Queries
- Advanced SQL: Updates
- Advanced SQL: Null Values
- Views and view management
- Conceptual modeling: Entity-Relationship (ER) modelling
- Conceptual modeling: Extended Entity-Relationship (EER) modelling
- Logical modeling: ER-to-relational mapping
- DBMS Architecture
- Transactions & transaction support in SQL
- Concurrency & Recovery
- Query Processing
- Database security and privacy
The course notes are complementary to the textbook; they are not meant to replace the textbook. You are expected to know both the material in the textbook for the assigned sections, and the material in the course notes.