- Undergraduate internships: I am not going to be admitting any international interns for the foreseeable future. Please do not write to me about internship as I will not be able to respond to individual emails.
- Graduate students: I am not going to be admitting any more graduate student next academic year. I am full right now.
- Driving directions to Waterloo
- Campus map; Please park in the M lot.
|Office: DC 3350|
|tamer.ozsu AT uwaterloo.ca|
|+1 (519) 888-4043|
|Assistant: Jo-Ann Hardy
jo-ann.hardy AT uwaterloo.ca
+1 (519) 888-4567 x. 37609
- Fellow, Royal Society of Canada (2016)
- Elected Member, The Science Academy, Turkey (2013)
- Fellow, Association for Computing Machinery (ACM) (2006)
- Fellow, Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers (IEEE) (2010)
- University Research Chair, University of Waterloo (2004-2011)
- Test-of-Time Award, ACM SIGMOD 2015 for paper
- L. Chen, M. T. Özsu, and V. Oria. "Robust and Fast Similarity Search for Moving Object Trajectories," In Proc. ACM SIGMOD International Conference on Management of Data, 2005, pages 491-502.
- Best Paper Award Honorable Mention, 29th International Conference on Data Engineering, 2013 for paper
- C. Balkesen, J. Teubner, G. Alonso, and M. T. Özsu. "Main-Memory Hash Joins on Multi-Core CPUs: Tuning to the Underlying Hardware," In Proc. 29th IEEE International Conference on Data Engineering, 2013, pages 362–373.
- ACM Distinguished Lecturer (2007-present)
- IBM CAS Canada Research Faculty Fellow (2010-present)
- Cheriton Faculty Fellow, Faculty of Mathematics, University of Waterloo (2013-2016)
- Natural Sciences and Engineering Research Council (NSERC) of Canada Discovery Accelerator Award (2013)
- University of Waterloo Outstanding Performance Award (2004, 2009, 2014)
- Ohio State University College of Engineering Distinguished Alumni Award (2008)
- ACM SIGMOD Contributions Award (2006)
- Faculty Fellow, Faculty of Mathematics, University of Waterloo (2000-2003)
- McCalla Professor, University of Alberta (1993-1994)
- Sigma Xi – Scientific Research Society Member (1994-present)
- NATO Ph.D. scholarship through TÜ̈BITAK–The Scientific and Technical Research Council of Turkey (1979–1983)
My research is on data management. Although I have done work in basic database technologies such as query processing, transaction processing, and database integration, the main focus of my research follows two threads: (1) application of database technology to non-traditional data types, and (2) distributed & parallel data management.
For more information click here.
Past Graduate Courses
- CS 638 - Principles of Data Management and Use (Fall 2015, Fall 2016)
- CS 755 - System and Network Architectures and Implementation (Fall 2013)
- CS 655 - System and Network Architectures and Implementation (Spring 2012, Fall 2012) - Same course as above; this is the previous number.
- CS 742 - Distributed and Parallel Database Systems (Winter 2013)
I taught versions of this course as Parallel and Distributed Databases at ETH Zürich (Winter 2006) and at National University of Singapore (Fall 2010)
- CS 748T - Distributed Database Systems (Winter 2001)
- CS 848 - Modern Database Systems (Winter 2015)
- CS 856 - Web Data Management (Fall 2002, Winter 2005)
- CS 856 - Internet-Scale Distributed Data Management (Fall 2005)
Past Undergraduate Courses
- Principles of Distributed Database Systems, 3rd edition, Springer, 2011, ISBN 978-1-4419-8833-1.
Supplementary material (Presentation slides, JPEG figures, and solutions to some of the exercises. All of these, except for solutions to exercises, are also available from Springer site.
You can also order it from Amazon, Barnes & Noble, Chapters-Indigo.
Chinese translation by Prof. Li-Zhu Zhou published by Tsinghua University Press.
- Encyclopedia of Database Systems, Springer, 2009, ISBN 978-0-387-35544-3. See the DBLP page.
- ACM Books, Editor-in-Chief Follow @ACMBooks
- Springer Book Series on Web Information Systems Engineering and Internet Technologies, Editorial Board Member
- World Wide Web Journal, Editorial Board Member
- Knowledge and Information Systems, Editorial Board Member
- International Journal of Next-Generation Computing, Advisory Board Member
- ACM Publications Board (2003--present)
- International Advisory Board Member, National Institute of Informatics, Japan, (2011-present)
- Academic Advisory Committee Member, Hong Kong University of Science and Technology, School of Engineering (2017-2020)
- Advisory Board Member, Hong Kong University of Science and Technology, Big Data Institute (2017-present)
- Technical Expert Advisory Committee Member, City University of Hong Kong, Multimedia Software Engineering Research Center (2014-1019)
- Advisory Board Chair, Hong Kong University of Science and Technology, Department of Computer Science and Engineering (2014-2017)
- ACM SIGMOD Advisory Board Member (2015-present)
- Proceedings of VLDB Advisory Board Member, (2014-present)
- Senior PC Member, ICDE 2017 - 33rd IEEE International Conference on Data Engineering, San Diego, 19-22April 2017.
- PVLDB Review Committee Member, Volume 10 (43rd International Conference on Very Large Data Bases), Munich, Germany, 28 August -1 September 2017.
- PC Member, SIGMOD 2017- ACM SIGMOD International Conference on Management of Data, Chicago, USA, May 14-19, 2017.
- General Co-Chair, APWeb- WAIM Joint Conference on Web and Big Data, Beijing, China, 7-9 July 2017.
- PC Co-Chair, ICBK 2017 - The 8th IEEE International Conference on Big Knowledge, Hefei, China, 9-10 August 2017.
- Morgan & Claypool Synthesis Lectures on Data Management, Series Editor -- DBLP page for the series.
- Chair, ACM Special Interest Group on Management of Data (SIGMOD), 2001-2005.
- Trustee, VLDB Endowment, 1996-2002.
- Coordinating Editor-in-Chief, The VLDB Journal, 2001-2005 (Co-EIC: 1997-2001).
- Associate Editor, ACM Computing Surveys (2005-2009).
- Springer Book Series on Advanced Information & Knowledge Processing, Editorial Board Member (2002 - 2013)
- Information Technology and Management, Editorial Board Member (2000-2013)
- CRA Board of Directors, Canadian Association of Computer Science (CACS) Representative (2010-2013)
visited 29 states (12.8%)
Create your own visited map of The World or Brazil travel guide for Android