University Professor |
Data Systems Research Group
David R. Cheriton School of Computer Science
University of Waterloo
Waterloo, Ontario N2L 3G1
Distinguished Visiting Professor
|Office: DC 3350|
|tamer.ozsu AT uwaterloo.ca|
|+1 (519) 888-4043|
|Administrative Coordinator: Yibei Zhao
y263zhao AT uwaterloo.ca
+1 (519) 888-4567 x. 38217
- Undergraduate internships: I am not going to be admitting any international interns for the foreseeable future. Please do not write to me about internship as I will not be able to respond to individual emails.
- Graduate students: I am not going to be admitting any more graduate student next academic year. I am full right now.
- Driving directions to Waterloo
- Campus map; Please park in the M lot.
- CS-Can/Info-Can Lifetime Achievement Award (2019)
- University Professor, University of Waterloo (2018)
- Fellow, American Association for the Advancement of Science (AAAS) (2017)
- Fellow, Royal Society of Canada (2016)
- Elected Member, The Science Academy, Turkey (2013)
- Fellow, Association for Computing Machinery (ACM) (2006)
- Fellow, Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers (IEEE) (2010)
- University Research Chair, University of Waterloo (2004-2011)
- ACM Distinguished Lecturer (2007-present)
- IBM CAS Canada Research Faculty Fellow (2010-present)
- Cheriton Faculty Fellow, Faculty of Mathematics, University of Waterloo (2013-2016; 2018-2021)
- Natural Sciences and Engineering Research Council (NSERC) of Canada Discovery Accelerator Award (2013)
- University of Waterloo Outstanding Performance Award (2004, 2009, 2014)
- Ohio State University College of Engineering Distinguished Alumni Award (2008)
- ACM SIGMOD Contributions Award (2006)
- Faculty Fellow, Faculty of Mathematics, University of Waterloo (2000-2003)
- McCalla Professor, University of Alberta (1993-1994)
- Sigma Xi – Scientific Research Society Member (1994-present)
- NATO Ph.D. scholarship through TÜ̈BITAK–The Scientific and Technical Research Council of Turkey (1979–1983)
- Test-of-Time Award, ACM SIGMOD (2015) for paper
- L. Chen, M. T. Özsu, and V. Oria. "Robust and Fast Similarity Search for Moving Object Trajectories," In Proc. ACM SIGMOD International Conference on Management of Data, 2005, pages 491-502.
- Best Paper Award, 44th International Conference on Very Large Data Bases (2018) for paper
- S. Sahu, A. Mhedhbi, S. Salihoglu, J. Lin and M. T. Özsu. "The Ubiquity of Large Graphs and Surprising Challenges of Graph Processing", Proc. VLDB Endowment, 11(4): 420-431, 2018.
- Best Paper Award, 23rd International Conference on Database Systems for Advanced Applications (2018) for paper
- P. Peng, L. Zou, M. T. Özsu, and D. Zhao. "Multi-Query optimization in Federated RDF Systems," In Proc. 23rd International Conference on Database Systems for Advanced Applications, 2018, pages 745–765.
- Best Paper Award Honourable Mention, 29th International Conference on Data Engineering (2013) for paper
- C. Balkesen, J. Teubner, G. Alonso, and M. T. Özsu. "Main-Memory Hash Joins on Multi-Core CPUs: Tuning to the Underlying Hardware," In Proc. 29th IEEE International Conference on Data Engineering, 2013, pages 362–373.
My research is on data management. Although I have done work in basic database technologies such as query processing, transaction processing, and database integration, the main focus of my research follows two threads: (1) application of database technology to non-traditional data types, and (2) distributed & parallel data management.
For more information click here.
- CS 638 - Principles of Data Management and Use
- CS 638 - Principles of Data Management and Use (Fall 2015, Fall 2016, Fall 2018, Fall 2019)
- CS 755 - System and Network Architectures and Implementation (Fall 2013)
- CS 655 - System and Network Architectures and Implementation (Spring 2012, Fall 2012) - Same course as above; this is the previous number.
- CS 742 - Distributed and Parallel Database Systems (Winter 2013); Versions of this course were taught at ETH Zürich (Winter 2006) and at National University of Singapore (Fall 2010)
- CS 748T - Distributed Database Systems (Winter 2001)
- CS 848 - Advanced Topics in Databases: Big Data Management Platforms (Winter 2019)
- CS 848 - Advanced Topics in Databases: Modern Database Systems (Winter 2015)
- CS 856 - Web Data Management (Fall 2002, Winter 2005)
- CS 856 - Internet-Scale Distributed Data Management (Fall 2005)
Past Undergraduate Courses
Current and Upcoming
Past Graduate Courses
- Short biography
- Full CV (PDF Format)
- My academic geneology
- Some statistics
- Streaming Graph Processing and Analytics, Keynote at 14th International Conference on Distributed and Event-Based Systems, 2020.
- Graph Processing: A Panaromic View and Some open Problems, Keynote at 45th International Conference on Very Large Data Bases, 2019 and at Dagstuhl Workshop on Big Graph Processing Systems, 2019.
- An Introduction to Graph Analytics Platform - Very Short Version, Keynote at VLDB 2018 workshop on Advances in Mining Large-Scale Time-Dependent Graphs, 2018.
- Web Data Management in RDF Age, Keynote at IEEE International Conference on Distributed Computing Systems, 2017
- Approaches to RDF Data Management and SPARQL Query Processing, INRIA, 2017.
- Principles of Distributed Database Systems, 4th edition, Springer, 2020, ISBN 978-3-030-26252-5; eText ISBN: 978-3-030-26253-2.
Supplementary material (Presentation slides, JPEG figures, and solutions to some of the exercises.
You can also order it from Amazon, Barnes & Noble, Chapters-Indigo, and of course Springer
Chinese translation of third edition by Prof. Li-Zhu Zhou published by Tsinghua University Press.
- Encyclopedia of Database Systems, 2nd edition, Springer, 2019, ISBN 978-1-4899-7993-3. See the DBLP page.
- Springer Book Series on Web Information Systems Engineering and Internet Technologies, Editorial Board Member
- ACM Transactions on Internet Technologies, Associate Editor
- World Wide Web Journal, Editorial Board Member
- Frontiers of Computer Science, Editorial Board Member
- International Journal of Next-Generation Computing, Advisory Board Member
- PVLDB Review Committee Member, Volume 14 (VLDB 2021 - 47th International Conference on Very Large Data Bases), Copenhagen, Denmark, August 16-20, 2021.
- Area Chair, SIGMOD 2021 - ACM SIGMOD International Conference on Management of Data, Xi'an, China, June 2021.
- Vice-Chair, ICDE 2021 - 37th IEEE International Conference on Data Engineering, Chania, Greece, 19-23 April 2021.
- Senior PC Member, EDBT 2021 - 24th International Conference on Extending Database Technology, 23-26 March 2021.
- PC Member, 2020 ACM Symposium on Cloud Computing (SOCC), Renton, WA, USA, 19-21 October 2020.
- Area Chair, SIGMOD 2020-ACM SIGMOD International Conference on Management of Data, Portland, USA, June 14-19, 2020.
- PVLDB Associate Editor, Volume 13 (46th International Conference on Very Large Data Bases), Tokyo, Japan, August 31-September 3, 2020.
- Academic Advisory Committee Member, Hong Kong University of Science and Technology, School of Engineering (2017-2020)
- Technical Advisory Board Member, Tsinghua University National Engineering Laboratory for Big Data Software (2017–present)
- Advisory Board Member, Hong Kong University of Science and Technology, Big Data Institute (2017-present)
- Proceedings of VLDB Advisory Board Member, (2014-present)
- ACM Books, Editor-in-Chief
- Morgan & Claypool Synthesis Lectures on Data Management, Series Editor
- Chair, ACM Special Interest Group on Management of Data (SIGMOD), 2001-2005.
- Trustee, VLDB Endowment, 1996-2002.
- Board Member, CS-Can/Info-Can (2017-2019)
- Technical Expert Advisory Committee Member, City University of Hong Kong, Multimedia Software Engineering Research Center (2014-1019)
- ACM Publications Board (2003--2017)
- International Advisory Board Member, National Institute of Informatics, Japan (2011-2018)
- Advisory Board Chair, Hong Kong University of Science and Technology, Department of Computer Science and Engineering (2014-2017)
- Coordinating Editor-in-Chief, The VLDB Journal, 2001-2005 (Co-EIC: 1997-2001).
- Associate Editor, ACM Computing Surveys (2005-2009).
- Springer Book Series on Advanced Information & Knowledge Processing, Editorial Board Member (2002 - 2013)
- Information Technology and Management, Editorial Board Member (2000-2013)
- CRA Board of Directors, Canadian Association of Computer Science (CACS) Representative (2010-2013)
- Some pictures: Aklan, Allison-Umut-Emma, Nuran, Nuran, Nuran-Shina, Umut-Shina, Shina, Emma
- I collect pens. For a partial list of the pens I own, click here.
- Some of these are for sale. Click here to find out which ones.
- For a listing of important pen sites on the Web click here.
visited 29 states (12.8%)
Create your own visited map of The World or Brazil travel guide for Android