I have successfully defended my PhD. thesis, and will start my post-doctoral fellowship at University of Toronto in 2014. I was a Ph. D. student in the David R. Cheriton School of Computer Science at University of Waterloo. I was a member of the Networks Group led by Prof. Raouf Boutaba. My research focuses on resource management issues in Cloud computing environments. I am also interested in related topics such as service managment, network virtualization and managment.
Before coming to Waterloo, I received my Master's degree in Electrical and Computer Engineering from Queen's University, and Bachelor's in Computer Engineering from University of Ottawa.Recent Publications
- Qi Zhang, Mohamed Faten Zhani, Maissa Jabri, Raouf Boutaba, Venice: Reliable Virtual Data Center Embedding in Clouds, IEEE INFOCOM 2014, to appear.
- Md. Faizul Bari, Arup Raton Roy, Shihabur Rahman Chowdhury, Qi Zhang, Mohamed Faten Zhani, Reaz Ahmed, Raouf Boutaba, Dynamic Controller Provisioning in Software Defined Networks, in Proceedings of International Conference on Network and Service Management (CNSM), 2013.
- Qi Zhang, Mohamed Faten Zhani, Raouf Boutaba, Joseph L. Hellerstein, HARMONY: Dynamic Heterogeneity-Aware Resource Provisioning in the Cloud, International Conference on Distributed Computing Systems (ICDCS), 2013
- Mohamed Faten Zhani, Qi Zhang, Gwendal Simon and Raouf Boutaba, VDC Planner: Dynamic Migration-Aware Virtual Data Center Embedding for Clouds, IFIP/IEEE Integrated Network Management Symposium (IM), 2013
- Qi Zhang, Mohamed Faten Zhani, Shuo Zhang, Quanyan Zhu, Raouf Boutaba, Joseph L. Hellerstein, "Dynamic Energy-Aware Capacity Provisioning for Cloud Computing Environments" International Conference on Autonomic Computing (ICAC), 2012
- F. Bari, R. Boutaba, R. Esteves, M. Podlesny, G. Rabbani, Q. Zhang, F. Zhani, and L.Granville, "Data Center Network Virtualization: A Survey" IEEE Communication Surveys and Tutorials, to appear.
- Qi Zhang, Quanyan Zhu, M. Faten Zhani, Raouf Boutaba, Dynamic Service Placement in Geographically Distributed Clouds International Conference on Distributed Computing Systems (ICDCS), 2012
- Raouf Boutaba, Lu Cheng and Qi Zhang, On Cloud computational models and the heterogeneity challenge THE FUTURE OF MIDDLEWARE Workshop (FOME), Collocated with IEEE/ACM Middleware, 2011
- Qi Zhang, Quanyan Zhu and Raouf Boutaba, Dynamic Resource Allocation for Spot Markets in Cloud Computing Environments in Proceedings of ACM/IEEE International Conference on Utility and Cloud Computing (UCC), 2011
- Qi Zhang, Raouf Boutaba, and Joseph L. Hellerstein, "Characterizing Task Usage Shapes in Google's Compute Clusters in Proceedings of The 5th Workshop on Large Scale Distributed Systems and Middleware (LADIS), 2011.
- Lu Cheng, Qi Zhang and Raouf Boutaba, "Mitigating the Negative Impact of Preemption on Heterogenous MapReduce Workloads". in Proceedings of International Conference on Network and Service Management (CNSM), 2011
- Qi Zhang, Eren Gürses, Jin Xiao and Raouf Boutaba, "Dynamic Resource Allocation for Spot Markets in Clouds". USENIX Workshop on Hot Topics in Management of Internet, Cloud, and Enterprise Networks and Services (Hot-ICE), 2011 PDF
- Qi Zhang, Lu Cheng and Raouf Boutaba, "Cloud computing: State-of-the-Art and Research Challenges", Journal of Internet Services and Applications (JISA), 2010 PDF
- Qi Zhang, Jin Xiao, Eren Gürses, Martin Karsten and Raouf Boutaba, "Dynamic Service Placement in Dynamic Hosting Environments", in Proceedings of IFIP Networking Conference, 2010 PDF
- Raouf Boutaba, Jin Xiao and Qi Zhang, "Toward Autonomic Networks: Knowledge Management and Self-Stabilization", Book chapter, Autonomic Computing and Networking, Springer, 2008 PDF
- Ying Zou, Qi Zhang, Xulin Zhao, "Improving the Usability of E-Commerce Applications using Business Processes", IEEE Transactions on Software Engineering (TSE), 2007 PDF
Phone: (519)888-4567 Ext. 36612
Email: q8zhang [shift + 2] uwaterloo [dot] ca
David R. Cheriton School of Computer Science
University of Waterloo
Waterloo, Ontario, Canada N2L 3G1