CS886 - Paper Critiques
- Two paper critiques (17.5% of final
each). Feel free to submit
more than 2 critiques and only the marks of your two best critiques
- The papers critiqued should be different from the paper presented
- To be done individually
- At most 2 pages
- Put yourself in the shoes of a reviewer for a conference or
- Give constructive
feedback to the authors
- For every criticism, make a suggestion to improve the paper
- Mention also the good aspects of the paper
- If you don't understand something, mention it and explain why you
are having trouble to understand. It is the responsibility of the
author to make everything clear in the paper, therefore it is important
to point out the parts that are difficult to understand and why.
Suggested questions to structure your critique
Significance and originality
- What's the paper about?
- What are the contributions?
- What's the take home message?
- Are the ideas novel/original?
- Are the contributions significant?
- Are the ideas presented technically correct?
- Are the proofs accurate?
- Are the algorithms correct?
- Are the ideas/algorithms empirically or theoretically evaluated?
- If some assumptions are made, are they realistic?
- Is scalability demonstrated?
- Is the paper properly situated with respect to related work?
- Is there a brief survey of related work?
- Do the authors explain similarities and differences with previous
- Is the paper well structured?
- Does the abstract properly and accurately summarize the paper?
- Do the introduction and conclusion clearly explain the
contributions and the take home message?
- Is the flow of ideas easy to follow?
- Is the paper well written?
- Are all the technical terms and abreviations explained?
- Are there important grammatical errors?
- Are there a lot of typos?