I am a PhD student in Computer Science at the University of Waterloo, Canada. My supervisor is Pascal Poupart, and I am a member of the Artificial Intelligence lab. Currently, I am conducting research on topics in Machine Learning and Natural Language Processing, in collaboration with Huawei, ProNavigator and Thomson Reuters Labs. I am also a Student Research Affiliate at the Vector Institute for Artificial Intelligence.
I received a Masters of Mathematics in Combinatorics & Optimization from the University of Waterloo. My masters research was in Graph Theory, under the supervision of R. Bruce Richter. I received a Bachelors of Science (Honours) in Mathematics and Computer Science from Lahore University of Management Sciences (LUMS). You can view my CV here (last updated: May 2018).
- 03 Aug 2018: Attended Deep Learning and Reinforcement Learning summer school at University of Toronto, organized by Vector Institute and CIFAR. Made many new friends and loved listening to big names like Yoshua Bengio, Richard Sutton, Geoff Hinton, Sergey Levine, Tor Lattimore, Sanjeev Arora, Hugo Larochelle, David Duvenaud, Jimmy Ba, Graham Neubig, Hal Daume III and many more!
- 16 May 2018: Delivered a guest lecture on "Deep Reinforcement Learning for Dialogue Systems" in Pascal Poupart's graduate course on Reinforcement Learning (CS 885). [Slides][Video]
- 02 May 2018: I've been accepted at the Deep Learning and Reinforcement Learning Summer School 2018. Their acceptance rate was 23%!
- 23 Apr 2018: I have been awarded the Ontario Graduate Scholarship for the year 2018-2019!
- 05 Feb 2018: ProNavigator's CEO Joseph D'Souza and I delivered a guest lecture on 'Natural Language Understanding for Dialogue Systems' in Pascal Poupart's course on Machine Learning (CS 489) at University of Waterloo.
- 01 Feb 2018: I have been selected as a Vector Institute Affiliate! Checkout Vector's press-release here.
- 08 Dec 2017: Our paper on Affective Neural Response Generation has been accepted at the 40th European Conference on Information Retrieval (ECIR 2018), France.
- 29 Sep 2017: Presented a poster at Cheriton Research Symposium 2017 as a Cheriton Graduate Scholar.
- 12 Sep 2017: Our new paper on Affective Neural Response Generation is up on ArXiv.
- 01 Aug 2017: Attending ACL 2017 in Vancouver; presenting a poster at *SEM.
- 21 July 2017: Completed my first Ph.D. seminar! Two more to go.
- 25 June 2017: Our paper on Deep Active Learning for Dialogue Generation has been accepted at the 6th Joint Conference on Lexical and Computational Semantics (*SEM 2017), Vancouver.
- 15 June 2017: I have been awarded the Ontario Graduate Scholarship for the year 2017-2018!
- 01 Mar 2017: I have joined a local FinTech AI startup ProNavigator as a part-time Data Scientist.