David Cheriton School of Computer Science
University of Waterloo
mhzokaei at uwaterloo.ca
I study computer science as a PhD student at University of Waterloo. Broadly speaking, my research interest is machine learning. I am advised by Professor Shai Ben-David.
I am interested to extend the classical results of learning theory to non-standard learning tasks -- e.g., clustering and semi-supervised learning. This can involve defining a learning model, making assumptions about the task/data, and studying the computational, statistical and information-theoretic aspects of learning in that model.
- Sample-Efficient Learning of Mixtures
Hassan Ashtiani, Shai Ben-David, Abbas Mehrabian
- Clustering with Same-Cluster Queries
[paper, slides, video]
Hassan Ashtiani, Shrinu Kushagra, Shai Ben-David
NIPS 2016, Oral Presenattion
- A Dimension-Independent Generalization Bound for Kernel Supervised Principal Component Analysis
Hassan Ashtiani, Ali Ghodsi
JMLR Workshop and Conference Proceedings, Volume 44: NIPS Workshop on Feature Extraction: Modern Questions and Challenges, 2015
- Representation Learning for Clustering: A Statistical Framework
[paper, poster, presentation]
Hassan Ashtiani, Shai Ben-David
UAI 2015, Oral Presnetation
- Bandit-Based Local Feature Subset Selection
Hassan Ashtiani, Majid Nili Ahmadabadi, Babak Nadjar Araabi
- Bandit-Based Structure Learning for Bayesian Network Classifiers
Sepehr Eghbali, Hassan Ashtiani, Majid Nili Ahmadabadi, Babak Nadjar Araabi
- Assessment of input variables determination on the SVM model performance using PCA, Gamma test, and forward
selection techniques for monthly stream flow prediction [paper]
Noori, R., A. R. Karbassi, A. Moghaddamnia, D. Han, Hassan Ashtiani, A. Farokhnia, and M. Ghafari Gousheh
Journal of Hydrology, 2011
- A Disaster Invariant Feature for Localization
Behdad Soleimani, Hassan Ashtiani, Behrouz Haji Soleimani, Hadi Moradi
- An attention-based approach for learning how to fuse decisions of local experts
Maryam S. Mirian, Majid Nili Ahmadabadi, Babak Nadjar Araabi and Hassan Ashtiani
NIPS Workshop on Understanding Multiple Kernel Learning Methods, 2009
- Graph signature for self-reconfiguration planning of modules with symmetry
Masoud Asadpour, Hassan Ashtiani, Alexander Sprowitz, Auke Ijspeert
- I did an internship at Google (Winter 2017).
- Watch my talk on "Clustering with same-cluster queries" at NIPS'16.
- I was awarded the Cheriton Scholarship for 2016-2017.
- I was invited to give a talk about Clustering with Advice at university of Tehran, December 2015 [Presentation]
- Check out my guest lectures for the machine learning course at UWaterloo [Lecture 5, Lecture 6]
- Thanks to Zokaei part of my last name, I was the last name in the list of reviewers for COLT'14 and COLT'15 :-) [2014, 2015]
- I had an invited talk about ''distribution specific learnability'' at university of Tehran, December 2013 [Slides]
- I got Cheriton Scholarship (Type II) for 2012 to 2014