|week||Date||Speaker||Topic||Presenter||Research papers(s)||Related readings|
|1||Jan 10||Jesse||Assistive Technologies (slides)||
- Martha E. Pollack. Intelligent Technology for an Aging Population. AI Magazine. Vol 26. No. 2 (2005)
- Jesse Hoey, Thomas Ploetz, Dan Jackson, Patrick Olivier, Andrew Monk and Cuong Pham Rapid Specification and Automated Generation of Prompting Systems to Assist People with Dementia. Pervasive and Mobile Computing, 2011
- Alex Mihailidis, Jennifer N. Boger, Marcelle Candido and Jesse Hoey The COACH prompting system to assist older adults with dementia through handwashing: An efficacy study. BMC Geriatrics, 8, 28, 2008
Jesse Hoey, Pascal Poupart, Axel von Bertoldi, Tammy Craig, Craig Boutilier and Alex Mihailidis Automated Handwashing Assistance For Persons With Dementia Using Video and a Partially Observable Markov Decision Process. Computer Vision and Image Understanding (CVIU), 114, 5, May, 2010
|2||Jan 17||Jesse||Probability, Bayesian Networks and Diagnosis (slides)||Jesse (slides) (critique)
J. Wu, A. Osuntogun, T. Choudhury, M. Philipose, J. Rehg A Scalable Approach to Activity Recognition based on Object Use
IEEE Int. Conf. on Computer Vision (ICCV 2007) (2007), pp. 1-8.
|3||Jan 24*||Ming Li||Bioinformatics||Raymond||Li Zhang, Aidong Zhang and Murali Ramanathan VizStruct: exploratory visualization for gene expression profiling Bioinformatics (2004) 20 (1): 85-92.
- Shortliffe Chap 22
- Bin Ma, John Tromp and Ming Li. PatternHunter: faster and more sensitive homology search Bioinformatics (2002) 18 (3): 440-445.
- Li M, Ma B, Kisman D, Tromp J. Patternhunter II: highly sensitive and fast homology search.
J Bioinform Comput Biol. 2004 Sep;2(3):417-39.
- Stephen F. Altschul, Thomas L. Madden, Alejandro A. Schaffer, Jinghui Zhang, Zheng Zhang, Webb Miller and David J. Lipman Gapped BLAST and PSI-BLAST: a new generation of protein database search programsNucl. Acids Res. (1997) 25 (17): 3389-3402.
- Ella Bingham and Heikki Mannila Random projection in dimensionality reduction: Applications to image and text data. Proc KDD 2001, San Francisco, CA.
|4||Jan 31||Karim Keshavjee||Privacy, Data Quality, EMR||Ayman||Wendy W. Chapmana, Lee M. Christensenb, Michael M. Wagnera, Peter J. Haugb, Oleg Ivanova, John N. Dowlinga, Robert T. Olszewskia Classifying free-text triage chief complaints into syndromic categories with natural language processingAI in Medicine Vol. 33 Issue 1. Pages 33-40. January 2005. Local PDF copy available here||
- Handbook of Biosurveillance (9780123693785): Michael M. Wagner, Andrew W. Moore, Ron M. Aryel. Chapter 17 - Natural Language Processing for Biosurveillance
- Handbook of Biosurveillance (9780123693785): Michael M. Wagner, Andrew W. Moore, Ron M. Aryel. Chapter 23 - Chief Complaints and ICD Codes
- Chapman WW, Gundlapalli A, South B, Dowling JN. Natural Language Processing for Biosurveillance. In Infectious Disease Informatics and Biosurveillance: Research, Systems, and Case Studies, Springer (in press)
|5||Feb 7||Jeff Orchard||Medical Image Processing||Miriam||Marwa N. Muhammada, Daniela S. Raicub, Jacob D. Furstb, Ekarin Varutbangkulb Texture versus Shape Analysis for Lung Nodule Similarity in Computed Tomography Studies Medical Imaging 2008: PACS and Imaging Informatics, edited by Katherine P. Andriole, Khan M. Siddiqui, Proc. of SPIE Vol. 6919, 69190I, (2008)
- Shortliffe chapters 9, 18
- Zitoval IVC 2003 is a survey of image registration (not just applied to medical imaging)
- Maes TMI 1997 is one of the first medical imaging papers about registration using mutual information
- VanLeemput TMI 1999 is a basic intro to medical imaging segmentation using clustering (estimation maximization)
- Orchard TIP 2010 links registration and segmentation into a single framework
- Warfield SK, Zou KH, and Wells WM. Simultaneous truth and performance level estimation (STAPLE): an algorithm for the validation of image segmentation. IEEE Trans Med Imaging 2004;23(7):903-21.
|6||Feb 14*||Mathieu Sinn||Human activity recognition in health care||Andre||VanLeemput TMI 1999
|7||Feb 21||Reading week - no class|
|8||Feb 28*||Daniel Heo||Telehealth and Telus Healthspace||Angela||Shahriyar Amin and Priya Narasimhan TwitterJacket: An automated activity and health monitoring solution for the elderly Tech. Report, CyLab,CMU 2009|
|9||March 7||Paul Stolee||Using health information to enhance musculoskeletal rehabilitation for older persons. Slides||Hadi|
- Distributed patient scheduling in hospitals by Paulussen, T.O. and Jennings, N.R. and Decker, K.S. and Heinzl, A., IJCAI 2003.local copy
- Multi-agent Pareto appointment exchanging in hospital patient scheduling by Ivan Vermeulen, Sander Bohte, Koye Somefun, Han La Poutr. Service Oriented Computing and Applications, Vol 1, No 3, pp185-196, 2007 local copy
|10||March 14||Ian McKillop||Public Health Informatics||Henry||An integrated machine learning approach to stroke prediction Aditya Khosla, Yu Cao, Cliff Chiung-Yu Lin, Hsu-Kuang Chiu, Junling Hu, Honglak Leey. KDD '10 Proceedings of the 16th ACM SIGKDD international conference on Knowledge discovery and data mining; ACM New York, NY, USA 2010|
- Jeremy Ginsberg, Matthew H. Mohebbi, Rajan S. Patel, Lynnette Brammer, Mark S. Smolinski & Larry Brilliant Detecting influenza epidemics using search engine query data Nature Vol 457, 19 Feb. 2009
- Chris Geib Problems with Intent Recognition for Elder Care AAAI Workshop on Automation as Caregiver, 2002.
- F Alagoz, A Calero Valdez et al From Cloud Computing to Mobile Internet, From User Focus to Culture and Hedonism
The Crucible of Mobile Health Care and Wellness Applications ICPCA, 2010
- Courtney D. Corley, Diane J. Cook, Armin R. Mikler and Karan P. Singh
Text and Structural Data Mining of Influenza Mentions in Web and Social Media Special Issue of Int. Journal of Environmental Research and Public Health 2010, 7(2), 596-615
|11||April 11||Course Project Reports|