My research interests focus on optimizing input and interaction techniques, primarily for multi-touch systems, mobile and personal devices.
Here are some recent publications.
- A Kuzminykh, J Sun, N Govindaraju, J Avery, E Lank. Genie In The Bottle: Anthropomorphized Perceptions Of Conversational Agents. CHI 2020. DOI: 10.1145/3313831.3376665
- J Avery, D Vogel, E Lank, D Masson, H Rateau. Holding Patterns: Detecting Handedness With A Moving Smartphone. IHM 2019. DOI: 10.1145/3366550.3372253
- J Henderson, J Avery, L Grisoni, E Lank (2019). Leveraging Distal Vibrotactile Feedback for Target Acquisition. CHI 2019.DOI: 10.1145/3290605.3300715
- J Avery. Enhanced Multi-Touch Gestures for Complex Tasks. Thesis. University of Waterloo. 2018.
- J Zheng, B Lewis, J Avery, D Vogel. FingerArc and FingerChord: Supporting Novice to Expert Transitions with Guided Finger-Aware Shortcuts. UIST 2018. DOI: 10.1145/3242587.3242589
- J Avery, S Malacria, M Nancel, G Casiez, E Lank. Introducing Transient Gestures to Improve Pan and Zoom on Touch Surfaces. CHI 2018. 10.1145/3173574.3173599
- J Avery, E Lank. Surveying Expert-Level Gesture Use and Adoption on Multi-Touch Tablets. DIS 2016. 10.1145/2901790.2901895
- J Avery, M Choi, D Vogel, E Lank. Pinch-to-Zoom-Plus: An Enhanced Pinch-to-Zoom That Reduces Clutching and Panning. UIST 2014. [DOI: 10.1145/2642918.2647352](