Lecturer, Cheriton School of Computer Science, University of WaterlooDownload
|2019||Ph.D Computer Science, University of Waterloo.|
|2012||B.A.Sc Computer Science, McMaster University.|
|1991||M.A. Anthropology, McMaster University.|
|1990||B.A. Anthropology, McMaster University.|
|2016-present||Lecturer, Cheriton School of Computer Science, University of Waterloo.|
|2009-2010||Engineering Manager, Intel of Canada.|
|2006-2009||Director of Software, Rapidmind Inc. (acquired by Intel of Canada).|
|2005-2006||Development Manager, Global Beverage Group.|
|2005||Senior Developer, Short Stacked Studios.|
|2001-2004||Product Architect, AGFA Healthcare.|
|2001||Development Team Lead, Mitra Imaging Inc. (acquired by AGFA Healthcare).|
|1999-2001||Development Team Lead, PixStream Inc. (acquired by Cisco Systems).|
|1999||Software Developer, Sir-Tech Canada Ltd.|
|1995-1999||Software Developer, Cognos Inc.|
Undergraduate Courses Taught
|2014-2020||CS 349: User Interfaces, University of Waterloo.|
|2016||CS 246: Object-Oriented Programming, University of Waterloo.|
Scholarly and Professional Activities
|2017-present||Member of Mathematics Standings & Promotions Committee, University of Waterloo.|
|2016-present||Undergraduate Advisor, Cheriton School of Computer Science, University of Waterloo.|
|2019||Reviewer for Interaction Design for Children (IDC).|
|2018||Reviewer for Graphics Interface (GI).|
|2018||Reviewer for International Journal of Human-Computer Studies.|
|2017-2019||Reviewer for ACM CHI Conference on Human Factors in Computing Systems (CHI).|
|2017||Reviewer for ACM Symposium on Interface Software and Technology (UIST).|
|2015||Member of Undergraduate Academic Plans Committee, University of Waterloo.|
|2015||Member of CS Outreach Committee, University of Waterloo.|
Papers in Refereed Conference Proceedings
- Anastasia Kuzminykh, Jenny Sun, Niv Govindaraju, Jeff Avery, Edward Lank. Genie In The Bottle: Anthropomorphized Perceptions Of Conversational Agents (2020). Proc. of CHI ’20, the ACM CHI Conference on Human Factors in Computing Systems.
- Jeff Avery, Daniel Vogel, Edward Lank, Damien Masson, Hanae Rateau. Holding Patterns: Detecting Handedness With A Moving Smartphone (2019). Proceedings of the 31st Conference on l'Interaction Homme-Machine.
- Jay Henderson, Jeff Avery, Laurent Grisoni and Edward Lank. Leveraging Distal Vibrotactile Feedback for Target Acquisition (2019). Proc. of CHI ’19, the ACM CHI Conference on Human Factors in Computing Systems.
- Jingjie Zheng, Blaine Lewis, Jeff Avery, Daniel Vogel (2018). FingerArc and FingerChord: Supporting Novice to Expert Transitions with Guided Finger-Aware Shortcuts. Proc. of UIST ’18, the ACM Symposium on User Interface Software and Technology.
- Jeff Avery, Sylvain Malacria, Mathieu Nancel, Géry Casiez and Lank, Edward (2018). Introducing Transient Gestures to Improve Pan and Zoom on Touch Surfaces. Proc. of CHI ’18, the ACM CHI Conference on Human Factors in Computing Systems.
- Jeff Avery, Edward Lank (2016). Surveying Expert-Level Gesture Use and Adoption on Multi-Touch Tablets. Proc. of DIS ’18, the ACM Conference on Designing Interactive Systems. p. 577-581.
- Jeff Avery, Mark Choi, Daniel Vogel, Edward Lank (2014). Pinch-to-Zoom-Plus: An enhanced pinch-to-zoom that reduces clutching and panning. Proc. of UIST ’14, the ACM Symposium on User Interface Software and Technology. p. 595-604.
Revised: July 13, 2020