Academic Services ♣
I am a fourth-year Ph.D. student in the David R. Cheriton School of Computer Science at the University of Waterloo, and am also a student affiliate of the Vector Institute. My supervisors are Prof. Pascal Poupart and Prof. Yaoliang Yu.
I am working on optimization problems in machine learning.
Before my Ph.D. program, I was a graduate student at
the Perimeter Institute working with Prof. Freddy Cachazo on theoretical physics.
Research Interests: transfer learning, adversarial training, federated learning, minimax optimization
I am always aiming for elegant formulations to understand real problems. As A. Einstein once said, "Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." Simplicity is the greatest beauty.
- 2017.09-2021.08 Ph.D. of Computer Science, University of Waterloo, Waterloo, Canada. Supervisors: Pascal Poupart and Yaoliang Yu
- 2015.08-2016.06 Master of Physics, University of Waterloo/Perimeter Institute, Waterloo, Canada. Supervisor: Freddy Cachazo
- 2011.09-2015.07 Bachelor of Physics, University of Science and Technology of China, Hefei, China. GPA—4.13/4.3
- 2021.06 Guojun Zhang, Han Zhao, Yaoliang Yu and Pascal Poupart. Quantifying and Improving Transferability in Domain Generalization. arXiv preprint. [arxiv]
- 2020.10 David Acuna, Guojun Zhang, Marc Law and Sanja Fidler. f-Domain Adversarial Learning: Theory and Algorithms. ICML 2021 (short talk). [arxiv]
- 2020.06 Guojun Zhang, Kaiwen Wu, Pascal Poupart and Yaoliang Yu. Newton-type Methods for Minimax Optimization. ICML 2021 workshop for ''Beyond first-order methods in ML systems.''
- 2020.06 Zeou Hu, Kiarash Shaloudegi, Guojun Zhang and Yaoliang Yu. FedMGDA+: Federated Learning meets Multi-objective Optimization. arXiv preprint.
- 2020.02 Guojun Zhang, Pascal Poupart and Yaoliang Yu. Optimality and Stability in Non-Convex Smooth Games. arXiv preprint.
- 2019.08 Guojun Zhang and Yaoliang Yu. Convergence of Gradient Methods on Bilinear Zero-Sum Games. ICLR 2020, also presented at NeurIPS workshop SGO&ML 2019 (NeurIPS 2019)
- 2019.05 Guojun Zhang, Pascal Poupart and George Trimponias. Comparing EM with GD in Mixture Models of Two Components. UAI 2019 (spotlight).
- 2017.05 Sebastian Mizera and Guojun Zhang (α-β order). String-theoretical Deformation of the Parke-Taylor Factor. Phys. Rev. D 96 (2017) no.6, 066016.
- 2016.12 Humberto Gomez, Sebastian Mizera and Guojun Zhang (α-β order). CHY Loop Integrands from Holomorphic Forms. JHEP 1703 (2017) 092.
- 2016.09 Freddy Cachazo, Sebastian Mizera and Guojun Zhang (α-β order). Scattering Equations: Real Solutions and Particles on a Line. JHEP 1703 (2017) 151.
- 2016.01 Freddy Cachazo and Guojun Zhang (α-β order). Minimal Basis in Four Dimensions and Scalar Blocks. arXiv preprint.
- 2015.05 Xin Wang, Guojun Zhang and Min-xin Huang, New Exact Quantization Condition for Toric Calabi-Yau Geometries. Phys. Rev. Lett. 115, 121601 (2015). [PRL][arxiv]
- 2014.09 Alberto Faraggi, James T. Liu, Lelpoldo A. Pando Zayas and Guojun Zhang (α-β order), One-loop structure of higher rank Wilson loops in AdS/CFT. Phys. Lett. B 740, 218 (2015). [PLB][arxiv]
PC member: IJCAI-PRICAI 2020, 2021;
Reviewer: NeurIPS 2020, 2021; AISTATS 2020; ICML 2021, ICLR 2022; Journal of Scientific Computing; CoRL 2021
I like writing poems, reading books, working out and traveling. Below is a list of books I have recently read:
Besides, I am open to many different cultures. For example, I like visiting ancient churches all over the world. Japanese culture is also one of my favorites. Life is like sakura, short with beauty.
- Ludwig Wittgenstein: The Duty of Genius by Ray Monk
- The Book of Why by Judea Pearl and Dana Mackenzie
- The Ph.D. Grind by Phillip Guo
- Never Eat Alone by Keith Ferrazzi
- Chaos: Making a New Science by James Gleick
- The Republic by Plato
- The Chrysanthemum and the Sword by Ruth Benedict
Google scholar ♣
DC 2306B, AI Lab
David R. Cheriton School of Computer Science
University of Waterloo