I am a third-year Ph.D. student in the David R. Cheriton School of Computer Science at the University of Waterloo, and am also a student affiliate of the Vector Institute. My supervisors are Pascal Poupart and Yaoliang Yu.
I am working on optimization problems in machine learning.
Before my Ph.D. program, I was a graduate student at
the Perimeter Institute working on theoretical physics. Here is my CV.
Research Interests: min-max optimization, non-convex optimization, stochastic optimization, adversarial robustness, reinforcement learning
- 2017.09-Present Ph.D. of Computer Science, University of Waterloo, Waterloo, Canada. Supervisors: Pascal Poupart and Yaoliang Yu
- 2015.08-2016.06 Master of Physics, University of Waterloo/Perimeter Institute, Waterloo, Canada. Supervisor: Freddy Cachazo
- 2011.09-2015.07 Bachelor of Physics, University of Science and Technology of China, Hefei, China. GPA—4.13/4.3
- 2019.08 Guojun Zhang and Yaoliang Yu. Convergence of Gradient Methods on Bilinear Games. ICLR 2020; NeurIPS workshop SGO&ML 2019. [ICLR][workshop][arxiv][code]
- 2019.05 Guojun Zhang, Pascal Poupart and George Trimponias. Comparing EM with GD in Mixture Models of Two Components. UAI 2019 (spotlight). [UAI][arxiv][code]
- 2017.05 Sebastian Mizera and Guojun Zhang (α-β order). String-theoretical Deformation of the Parke-Taylor Factor. Phys. Rev. D 96 (2017) no.6, 066016. [PRD][arxiv]
- 2016.12 Humberto Gomez, Sebastian Mizera and Guojun Zhang (α-β order). CHY Loop Integrands from Holomorphic Forms. JHEP 1703 (2017) 092. [JHEP][arxiv]
- 2016.09 Freddy Cachazo, Sebastian Mizera and Guojun Zhang (α-β order). Scattering Equations: Real Solutions and Particles on a Line. JHEP 1703 (2017) 151. [JHEP][arxiv]
- 2016.01 Freddy Cachazo and Guojun Zhang (α-β order). Minimal Basis in Four Dimensions and Scalar Blocks. arXiv preprint. [arxiv]
- 2015.05 Xin Wang, Guojun Zhang and Min-xin Huang, New Exact Quantization Condition for Toric Calabi-Yau Geometries. Phys. Rev. Lett. 115, 121601 (2015). [PRL][arxiv]
- 2014.09 Alberto Faraggi, James T. Liu, Lelpoldo A. Pando Zayas and Guojun Zhang (α-β order), One-loop structure of higher rank Wilson loops in AdS/CFT. Phys. Lett. B 740, 218 (2015). [PLB][arxiv]
I like writing poems, reading books, working out and traveling. Below is a list of books I have recently read:
Besides, I am open to many different cultures. For example, I like visiting ancient churches all over the world. Japanese culture is also one of my favorites. Life is like sakura, short with beauty.
- The Ph.D. Grind by Phillip Guo
- Never Eat Alone by Keith Ferrazzi
- Chaos: Making a New Science by James Gleick
- The Republic by Plato
- The Chrysanthemum and the Sword by Ruth Benedict
Google scholar ♣
DC 2306B, AI Lab
David R. Cheriton School of Computer Science
University of Waterloo