[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: NAFTA, Capitalism and Alternatives, VII

Wait a minute amigos.  Did I see somebody say that the neoliberal model
is a subset of capitalism?   Not in my book.  The ideal of democratic
capitalism has as a necessary component individual liberty and the rule
of law. The neoliberal model in Mexico, Spain and elsewhere in Europe
clearly has its origins in 19th century corporate statism, which is,
lest we forget, the mother of Fascism and its nasty siblings. The
capitalism to which you refer is simply the crony capitalism that has
evolved in Mexico and, to be fair, most of the industrial nations
as well.  To conclude, I would argue that any labels including the term
capitalism must require a lengthy footnote to be clear and accurate.

Saludos