[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

NAFTA, Capitalism and Alternatives, Debate VIII/2

>From: "Victor O. Story" <story@kutztown.edu>
>Subject: Re: NAFTA, Capitalism and Alternatives: Debate, V/1

>I don't disagree with Harry's analysis, I even admit he's right I was
>unfairly badmouthing the Left.  I think nevertheless that the
>constructive thinking going on involves analysis different from the
>ideologically charged analysis of state and capitalism.  The language
>does not fit the problem.  I also think that spending more on education is
>a wise idea, but not the ultimate solution.  The critique of Mexico in
>terms of the intrinsic flaws of capitalism simply does not address the
>particular deficiencies of capitalism in Mexico, and until those
>problems
>are dealt with, simply hacking away at capitalism gets us nowhere.

Victor: I am always glad when we can find SOME space of agreement. I am
all for "constructive" thinking, absolutely. But as I said to John above,
as we seek constructive solutions to real problems we want to avoid false
solutions, i.e., solutions that are not solutions but only leave us where
we were, more or less (see comment about pots and pans). It is true
enough that critiquing the "intrinsic flaws of capitalism" does NOT
address "particular deficiencies". Where we differ, perhaps, is that you
seem to think it can be efficacious to try to solve particular problems
one by one and worry about the big picture later. Whereas I, on the
other hand, suspect (on the basis of experience) that close examination
of particular deficiencies that we want to address leads us very quickly
to the big picture and the realization that the big picture (i.e., the
constraints of capitalism) puts limits on our ability to solve the
particular problem.

For example, I'm tempted to take up the issue of education and whether
or better to what degree more spending is appropriate. In the short
term I'm sympathetic. It may be that "throwing more money at
education will not solve all the problems" as conservatives like to say
in the US, but it is also true as the pundits counter that "less money"
sure won't solve the problems either. In the longer run (lets start
now) on the other hand, I'll just refer the curious to Ivan Illich's
DESCHOOLING SOCIETY and its sequels and to the work of Paolo Freire,
both of which are concerned with transforming the "problem of
education" into those of learning which leads to the contemplation of
very different "solutions"..

For example, it seems so reasonable, so rational, to
call for peaceful negotiations and resolution of the conflict in Chiapas
(and many have done so). I think we all want that. But the major
obstacle to such resolution is that the Zapatistas and the Mexican state
differ over fundamentals (i.e., the big picture). The State wants the
Zapatistas to go back to farming or become politicians within the
established structures while the Zapatistas want the State to accept not
only fundamental change in the structures of power in Chiapas but at the
level of Mexico as a whole.  The state wants to maintain the basic
economic institutions of Chiapas (business control, the dominance of the
wealthy over the poor, the extraction for export of local wealth,
racial discrimination against and exploitation of indigenous people,
etc), while the Zapatistas want to change ALL that. But WHY is the PRI
so attached to ALL THAT? Because it is integral to its overall plan for
capitalist development in Mexico. Because if the Zapatistas achieve
really fundamental change, even just in Chiapas, the whole structure
would be threatened. They know it, Wall Street knows it, Roett knew it
and said it. Clinton has arranged a $50 billion bailout because he
knows it. The IMF has violated its own rules to put together an
absolutely monstrous $17.8 billion package because it knows it.

So, I'm
afraid that it is not going to be very possible, very often, to "solve"
a great many particular problems WITHOUT recognizing and addressing the
contraints on solutions --constraints that have to do with the big
picture. At any rate, I "hack away" at capitalism in general (like
hacking away at a weed) mainly in response to those who think it doesn't
need to be removed for our garden to grow. As a general rule, I'm more
than happy to take up particular problems and discuss possible solutions.
I'm also willing to apply Occam's razor and not look for complicated
explanations when simple ones will do. The problem is: simple
explanations like simple solutions often wind up not doing the job.

>In fact, there is an argument that because of the inadequacies of the
>Mexican market, and perhaps more importantly, because of the role of
>corruption and bossism and favoritism and monopolistic businesses and a
>market that has never been developed, this argument goes, Mexico's
>system
>is not capitalism at all!  Too much of that argument holds enough water
>to make a focus on larger abstractions about capitalism unuseful.

Victor: I think that argument is hokum. Corruption and bossism,
favoritism and monopolistic business have always been integral to
capitalism, they are not abberations. Capitalism got its start paying
bribes to parliament to clear the lands. Multinational corporations often
got their start on the basis of monopoly power (US railroads, central
Amercian plantations, etc) and so on. "Larger abstractions about
capitalism" ARE useful precisely because they capture these continuities
and help reveal the historical ignorance (or obfuscation) behind such
arguments. Such an argument has been made by some on the Left in Latin
American for decades to rationalize support for the "historically
progressive forces of capitalism" against supposed "feudal" remnants. It
has also been used to rationalize dismissing the peasantry as
disappearing moments of those remnants. I think the first set of
arguments were well disposed of by people like A.G.Frank. I think the
second set were well disposed of by the campesinistas during the debate
in Mexico in the 1970s --even if Warman has forgotten all his arguments.

>The
>hard work to improve the lives of Mexico's workers involves adjusting
>the market to serve them more, just as Father Aristide is trying in Haiti, a
>worse case than Mexico.

>Victor

Victor: I have no objection to trying to "adjust" the market to improve
workers lives, as far as it goes. That's what workers do when the fight
for higher wages; that's what campesinos do when they fight for land or
for credit or for guaranteed output prices. Certainly the capitalists
have always sought to "adjust" the market to suit their purposes (expand
labor supply to lower wages, impose prices on land so the rich can have
more, restrict credit to those who can pay high interest rates,
manipulate the relative prices of agricultural inputs and outputs in
order to squeeze the peasantry --called the "scissors" in the Soviet
Union). Indeed, the first thing to recognize about the market is that is
has always been manipulated; that there is not now, and never has been,
such a thing as a "free market", indeed the term is an oxymoron. At the
same time, however, recognition of this should also free us from any
fetishistic attachment to the "market" as such and open us to
other ways of organizing relationships in both countryside and city.
Which brings us back to alternatives ...... :-)

Harry
======================================
Harry Cleaver
Department of Economics