The School of Computer Science offers graduate programs leading to a Master of Mathematics (MMath) or PhD degree.
Master of Mathematics
- Coursework option in Computer Science
- Thesis option
- Additional master's programs
- PhD and direct entry into PhD
- Co-op option
|Courses||eight||four, plus a thesis|
|Duration||12- 16 months||one to two years|
|Duties||Take advanced computer science courses in areas like machine learning and cloud computing||
Accelerated master's - University of Waterloo students only
- Start your graduate studies early by enrolling in graduate studies while still enrolled in your undergraduate program
- Only for Waterloo students enrolled in a BCS or BMath/CS degree.
- Take graduate courses as early as fourth year.
- Apply to our program (PDF) in your third year of study.
You can also enroll in one of our cross-disciplinary degrees to expand your studies in computer science and beyond.
- MMath Quantum Information
- Master of Data Science and Artificial Intelligence (MDSAI)
- MMath in Data Science
Work alongside a professor as you explore independent research in one of our 16 areas of study. You can enroll in one of two programs:
Duration: four years
Courses: four + a thesis + defense
Duties: work with a faculty supervisor to conduct research
Part-time study for PhD is available to Waterloo staff only.
Direct entry into PhD programs
You can apply for consideration directly into our PhD programs from your undergraduate studies. Depending on your application, academic background and research experience you may be admissible or considered for an offer to one of our master's programs.
Combine a co-op option with your master's* and earn eight months or two terms of experience before you graduate.
As part of the co-op process, you will:
- Work with your supervisor to arrange a co-op position.
- Find a co-op job that relates to your area of research.
- Approve your job with the director of graduate studies.
- Use resources at the Centre for Career Action to update your resume and practice your interview skills.
*Co-op is not available to master's coursework students in the data science specialization.
There are a wide variety of courses that you can choose from in both computer science and math to develop your knowledge in these areas.