The University of Waterloo established the Undergraduate Research Internship program (URI or URIP) as a funding initiative to encourage faculty members to hire undergraduate students to work on research under their supervision. The goal of the program is to stimulate students' interest in research and to encourage a future in research and/or better prepare students for a graduate studies degree.
If you're a student who would like to gain research work experience that complements your studies in an academic setting, this award provides you with financial support to do so.
More information on internships is available from the Centre for Career Action.
Information on the URI process is available on Hire Waterloo.
Length of project
- Full-time (35 hours per week) for 16 consecutive weeks (80 working days)
- Can be counted as a co-op work term but students do not need to be in co-op to be eligible.
- Note: Students are not allowed to be in class full-time or working on another project/job while doing the URI as it is considered a full-time job.
- $1,600 for the term from Co-operation and Experiential Education (CEE) plus the supervisor's contribution. The recommended minimum amount for the supervisor’s contribution is $1723.33 per month or $6893.32 per term which means that the total minimum payment for the term would be $8493.32.
- Benefits and 4% vacation pay are in addition to the recommended minimum payment above.
- The student and/or the supervisor can apply for the following as additional funding possibilities: NSERC USRA and President's Scholarships.
- Can be a Canadian citizen, permanent Canadian resident or an international student (with a valid study permit).
- Must be in good academic standing and registered Waterloo students in a co-op or regular undergraduate program in the academic term preceding and following employment.
- Must find a faculty supervisor within the School of Computer Science.
- UWaterloo faculty members hiring an undergraduate student to work on research under their supervision.
Which positions qualify?
- Students hired as Research Assistants, with a job description clearly identifying the job content as research oriented.
- Students must work full time (35 hours per week), and complete the required length of a work term. (See Work Term Requirements.)
How to apply
Supervisors need to complete the online URI application form.
- The following information is needed to complete the form:
- Supervisor name and contact details
- Administrative Assistant - enter Shoshannah Holdom, ext. 36826, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Job information (Job Title, Job Description, Start Date, End Date)
- If a student has already been found for the job (Student Name, ID, Program, Work Term #
- Students: you are not required to complete a formal application to do a URI, unless a faculty member is seeking applicants for a URI position posted on WaterlooWorks. If you are interested in a URI, you should first connect with faculty members who are working in your areas of interest and discuss the possibility of undertaking a project with them.